1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component input

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by WeirdFish, Jun 29, 2003.

1. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm trying to put together a shortlist of TV's to replace my current aging 32" WS Philips.

I am at the moment undecided whether to get a 42" RP or 36" CRT but as my Tosh DVD has component outputs it makes sense to get a TV that can receive them.

I've had a good trawl through the numerous Toshiba threads with their various probs and would like to know which other makes & models have component inputs. This info is suprisingly hard to find without model numbers.

I only need Nicam as I have a perfectly good seperates setup.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFIAK Toshiba are the ony TV manu. that use Component.. although once you go down LCD FP, CRT FP, DLP pretty much given it'll have component.

IMO I would never buy another direct view (esp. a large set) due to geometry errors that can't really be sorted - I don't mind a bit of geometry fault, but my brothers Tosh 28" Widescreen has a whopping great 2" slant that can't be rectified.

I have a 42" RP (Nicam) 42PW23P. Available for about £1K. Can't moan at that.

I've done loads of posts reg. this set... here's a snapshot..

http://nathansilly.012webpages.com/

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hmmmmm I know wot you mean. I started looking at RP but have concerns over screenburn so I thought 36 CRT was the way to go. A quick search later revealed a shedload of probs.

So kinda back to square one.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another option is the Panasonic TX36PD30. This should be appearing in the shops soon, and will include progressive component inputs.

According to the news section in one of the a/v mags(what video, I think), JVC are also planning to bring out a 36" in September / October, which will also feature component inputs.

I can understand worries about commiting to buying a 36" tv. I'm in a position myself where I'll be getting a new tv in the not too distant future, and would like to get a 36". It just seems as though problems are inherent to sets this size though.

When I was buying my current set four years ago, £1500 was a routine price for a 32" tv. Now you can get 36" televisions for less than that. I suppose that compromises are being made to keep reducing the prices, and the end result is that reliability and performance suffer.

5. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Trouble is it seems that the people that large screen TV's are aimed at are the very people that are fussy about picture quality.

I've had a look on the Panasonic website but i can't find any reference to any of the sets having component inputs.

Yes they do. Found the answer on another thread. Doh.