1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component input Flat screen TV ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Rad, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good widescreen TV with component inputs ?, I was thinking of the Toshiba 36 or 32 ZP18 but they seem to be riddled with problems.

Sound decoding isn't that big an issue as I've got that sorted with some decent speakers and amp.

Any recommendations very welcome.

Cheers,
    R.

2. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The only other CRT TVs with component except the Toshes are the Loewe Aconda/Vitros/Credos (and presumably the new Articos). They take component through a scart (which is very non-standard, but it works). I have my Tosh SD9000 and X-Box both connected via component.

You'll need to get a special lead, a 3 RGB phono to scart lead with sync on green will work fine. I had a gold standard lead made up by Ixos for £40.

3. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

Cheers for that, do you know if the component ins on any of these sets takes Progressive scan as I've got a pioneer 737 which does progressive scan on the components and would like to take advantage of the added quality.

Cheers,
    R.

4. Aus k

Aus k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Cheers for that, do you know if the component ins on any of these sets takes Progressive scan"

Rad
    the aconda/articos will not display a prog scan signal via component fed through AV3. However, these TV's have built in prog scan de-interlacing capability. Feed them an NTSC signal via component on AV3 and they will de-interlace it and display a Prog scan picture. that's my understanding from Linn UK. i can't vouch for the quality of the picture though.
    i have been told that the TV's shipped to PAL regions (that means us) have the byte setting for "auto" Prog Scan disabled in the Engineering menus. it's pretty easy to set it to "auto", which is how the U.S. TV's are set to.
    there's plenty of other forums on the topic of Loewe TV's and Prog Scan. if you can, get up to Harrods and chck out the new Articos....