1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component input and auto widescreen switching

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Schweino, May 27, 2005.

1. Schweino

Schweino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a problem with my new TV wich is driving me insane. I just bought a JVC LT-26C50SU which has scart RGB as well as component inputs. I was planning to use the component inputs for my XboX, so I got the component cables for that. When I hooked it up to the TV, I noticed that when my tv is set to "auto" which means it will switch to whatever image format it is being fed (16:9, full, panoramic, etc) it won't switch to 16:9 when i turn on my xbox. Instead it switches to "panoramic" which is meant to be for 4:3 feeds (smart zoom kinda format). When I attach the xbox via scart RGB, it does switch to 16:9 properly.

Does anyone know why this is? I really want to avoid manually adjusting the screen format each time when i use the xbox.

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two ways of switching between 16:9 and 4:3
    One is via a lead in the SCART cable, the other is via a special pulsetrain in the video.
    (which sometimes appears as a kind of morsecode pattern at the top op the picture)

Apparently one is working and the other isn't. Could be a configuration issue on either of the two boxes.

3. Schweino

Schweino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just called JVC, and according to them a component signal cannot autoswitch to the right screenmode. This seems odd to me, since the singnal you were talking about is a WSS signal I presume, and I don't think that signal is input dependent is it?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Component won't auto switch aspect ratios as it transmits purely the video signal. Scart works as, I believe, the WSS switching command is sent via one of the pins in the scart socket.

John

5. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how this works on an S-video to Scart cable? I've got my DVD player connected to my Widescreen CRT via one of these cables (the Scart end plugged into the TV). My tv changes the aspect ratio according to the type of disk I'm playing automatically (well most of the time anyway).

Looking at the S-Video plug, I can only see around 4 pins. I don't believe one of them is devoted entirely to the WSS information..

Ben

6. Schweino

Schweino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And with regular cable TV through coax? That also seems to be able to send a WSS signal.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    The WSS signal is embedded in line 23 of the 625 line video frame, in the part of the frame which is not visible.

This is not the same as the SCART signal (pin8) for widescreen switching - this is set to the correct voltage value depending on a setting in the menu of the device (eg STB or DVD player). The WSS system is really for broadcast, as a way of telling the TV receiver at the other end of the broadcast chain, that the signal is 16:9 widescreen (although WSS can also be used to set 14:9 aspect as well a few others).

In this case, although I don't know this for sure, it sounds like the X-Box does not generate WSS data for embedding in line 23 (the WSS system is designed so that in the absence of any WSS data, the picture format is assumed to be standard 4:3).
    The other explanation of course is that the TV simply ignores whatever is on line 23 on the component input (although I think the former is more likely)!