1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component In and Out on Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chuckalicious, Oct 24, 2005.

1. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I am in the market for a new AV processor, and I like the idea of using it to switch AV video sources, which I currently do with my amp (but only over composite :( ). There is no way I can afford an amp with HDMI or DVI on them, so the next best thing would be component inputs, of which I know there are plenty.

Now, that's about as much as I know about the technology behind component. I know that many DVD players do either progressive scan, or upscaling to HD resolutions via their component outputs, so, here's my question....

Do I need an amp that can do progressive scan, or upscaling via its component inputs and output, or is it basically just a signal that it receives, and then spits back out again?

I guess on that note would you recommend ever using the video switching capabilities of amps or are direct connections to the back of the TV better?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    You don't need one that does Video Up-Conversion. As long as the Component Inputs/Outputs have enough bandwith (ideally 50mhz or more) they'll switch whatever signal you put through it, whether that be Progressive or Interlaced.

Personally, I go direct to the display as I don't need the switching capability.

3. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    How can you tell how much bandwidth the inputs/outputs have? Is this something that shows up in the manuals for receivers and if so, what units is the bandwidth expressed in?

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It should be in the manual or specs, and some say "HDTV ready component switching"or something to that effect. As Jase said, 50MHz for 1080i i think.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    It'll be expressed in Mhz. You can get away with 37Mhz for HiDef but the more the merrier. Quite a few Amps have 100Mhz bandwidth.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    chuckalicious

Keep in mind you need to look at more than just the Bandwidth (be it for SD or HD) - here's the spec page for the Zektor HDS4 Component + Digital Audio switcher.

See http://www.zektor.com/hds4/specs.htm

These switchers are passive so introduce little or no signal degradation and are compatible with all Video signals up to and including 1080p - note Zektor don't just give you a blanket 37Mhz figure; they show 37Mhz at -0.1db and greater than 100Mhz at -3db; very few if any AV Receivers will meet or exceed those figures.

Best regards

Joe

PS If your happy with your current audio set up you can add a Zektor switcher to give you the extra signal switching you require :)

7. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the replies, best response I've had in ages :)

To be honest I am happy with what I've got, but, I know there are far better pictures to be had, and I want to see them, so damn it I want them :)

8. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    There's an entry in my 2805 manual that says "DC - 100MHz - +0, -3dB". I take it the 100MHz is the figure in question?

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Yup. The 2805 has Component Inputs/Outputs with a bandwidth of 100Mhz.

10. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks Jase. BTW I use the component out from the 2805 to my projector in order to avoid having lots of cabling through the ceiling - I always use the amp with the pj anyway as it has no audio capability.

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The yamahas have a lower bandwidth than the denons for component i believe, but can do upto 1080i, i guess with the double bandwidth the denon can do 1080p over component.

12. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,889