1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component - Higher than 576P?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by image165, Jul 7, 2005.

1. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. I have a Panasonic DMRES10 DVD Recorder. When I output video from it, using component cables, the resolution is apparently 576P. What I want to know is, how do you get higher resolution then 576P from a component cable? Can you get DVD players/recorders that output video at 720P, via component cables?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    576 is the native resolution of PAL video. You will not currently find any DVD recordings of a higher resolution than this. Even the American NTSC recordings will be lower than 576.
    I assume that you have a 720 capable screen, which is why you want the higher resolution. If so then the screen will just upconvert the video to its native resolution anyway. You can get DVD players (but not sure about DVD recorders) that can do the upconversion, but it is unlikly to give a better quality picture by getting the source to do the upconversion without spending a lot of money.
    The only way I know of to improve the PQ is to get a video processor such as the Lumagen DVI etc which currently sells for something like £650.

Mark.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pioneers flag ship DVDR outputs upscaled video over HDMI i think, not sure about component but the cables will carry 720p 1080i etc no problem and depedning on the display chances are you are watching it higher than 576p anway even tho thats what the screen recives as it will scale all incoming video to native res anyway, the only benefit in upscaling DVD (an SD format) is if the sclaer in the DVD player is better than the one in the display and you can bypass internal scaler not possible on ALIS screens for example