1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component HDTV ready inputs....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by moosie, Aug 15, 2005.

1. moosie

moosie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just reading about the new Denon 2106 AVR which has 3 hdtv ready component video inputs. I always thought that only HDMI and DVI (HDCP) are the only HDTV ready inputs. Am I missing something?

2. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'd go along with that - although Sky say that their 1st generation Sky+ HD box will have component outputs for their services in HD. This hints that next generation boxes will be HDMI only.

They've said that they will allow component out for their HD services, but can't guarantee other providers will do that.

So, in this day and age, where we have been warned, it would be daft to buy a component only TV when you are thinking about HD from Sky. Sky have been forced into doing this so that they do not annoy owners of sets which were bought a few years ago before HDMI was mooted or out there.

H

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    In Europe - where HD has yet to really launch - HDMI is really going to be the standard HD interconnect.

However in the US, where they've had HD since 1998, analogue component was until recently the de facto HD connection standard. I suspect the Denon amp is more aimed at the US HD market.

4. moosie

moosie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .... hopefully we have affordable amps with HDMI switching by the time Sky HD is available. Maybe a Denon 2107?

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    In simple terms, HD can be analogue or Digital

HD Analogue - Component (denon 2106)

HD Digital - HDMI (DVI) (Arcam AVP 700)

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Don't forget you can also put high definition video over RGB and VGA interfaces.
    (Just not over SCART!)

Nick

7. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Question

When Sky HD uses the HDMI or DVI it will come with HDCP, so I have made sure that the LCD's I've been looking at are HDCP compliant.

How will Sky HD over component work, cause the component inputs never list as being HDCP compliant?

IS HDCP just to do with the digital side of this what with comp being analogue?

Cheers

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The HD over component will not be protected, the reason it is being allowed is pure marketing due to the large number of HD panels on the market that do not have HDMI since they were released before or within months of the HDMI announcment. HDCP is indeed a content protection system for digital connections, HDMI by design but DVI can carry it as well.
    I expect all sides have seen that getting the HD marketing up and running is more important than limiting the market in the first year or so by only allowing HDCP compliant connections.

However still no guarantee that a broadcaster will not limit it's HD to the HDMI output only and forcing the component connection to carry only downconverted HD and the standard SG broadcasts. The second generation STB is expected to only support HD over HDMI but that is still years away and at such time the percentage of non HDMI displays should be very small.

9. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ah ha thanks for that - good news there at least. Have been trying to work out how many inputs and the types I will be needing on my new TV for all and sundry

ah um - I am assuming that Sky HD will work over the comp :confused: or does your comment refer to the people producing the content for Sky ?

As long as I can get Sky over comp I can use my amp to act as a splitter for Xbox 360 & sky HD (2 comp ports) to the comp on the TV leaving the HDMI for something else. Dont want to buy another amp in the future for HDMI splitting really - have a bloomin good 6.1 Sony ya see

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY have said that all their own content will be accessible in via component but SKY have no direct control over other broadcasters such as the BBC, Discovery, EURO1080 and others who may offer HD in the near future.
    The SKY HD platform gives other broadcasters the option of allowing HD via component or making it a HDMI exclusive service, at this time we simply do not know how it will pan out.

I think we can all hope that other broadcasters follow SKY's lead until such time as component for broadcast HD is phased out (however long that takes and indeed if it ever is).
    Even if you are well covered with HDMI and DVI compliant inputs the use of component will greatly benefit the intial HD launch which in the long term is better for everyone:)