1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component ghosting - is it a cable issue?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ianh64, Oct 24, 2004.

1. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I am using as a stop gap measure, a 'budget' 3m Ixos XHV704 phono-phone component video cable (the pinky red one) plus 3 BNC/phono adaptors between my DVD player (Meridian G98) and LCD media box (Loewe Xelos SL). The cable is a left over from a previous application, hence the kludge with the adaptors.

The problem that I am seeing is three fold:
    1. I am witnissing ghosting on some scenes
    2. My TV is reporting an odd resolution for input ~ 1440ix576i@50 when the output from the DVD player is 720x576 either interlaced or progressive - it doesn't matter which, the same resolution is reported. To be honest, I cannot see any difference between interlaced and component which I would expect.
    3. There is also the occasional vertical twitch which is difficult to dial out consistancy using the phase adjustment on the Loewe.

Is this likely to be caused by a cable issue? Presumably with the phono/BNC adaptors, I am loosing 75 ohm termination. Could this cause issues like ghosting and a confused resolution being reported? My actual requirement for cable length is probably 1-1.5m - is the longer than necessary cable length (3m) having an influence?

Since the component is a secondary input, HDMI->DVI is the primary input, I am loath to waste money resolving this issue unless I can get a guaranteed fix fairly cheaply (£50 ish). Was thinking of whatever QED component cable properly terminated with BNC/Phono came in at around this price point.

Does anyone know of a retailler who would be prepared to 'loan' a cable then if it resolves the issue, take it back in return for a custom length and if it doesn't work, just take the cable back?

Thanks

Ian

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    more likely to be in-efficancies of the dvd player's DAC or the screen's ADC.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    So you don't think that having the BNC to phono adaptors at the source end could induce reflections in the signal?

-Ian

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There's a small chance it'll make a difference, i'd reccomend 3 runs of belden cable with canare phono's on one end and canare bnc's on the other - mark grant or groundy can make these for you.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Doh!

Its just dawned on me that the source that I was looking at was an external source - Freeview via s-video.

Of course, I was comparing this to the identical source, but via HDMI/DVI and scaled which was pretty damn good. So it would not, IMO, be unreasonaly to see 'ghosting', or more likely, compression artifacts in some scenes.

It just goes to show how good well the scaling in the Meridian G98 cleans up an iffy picture from an external source.

I've also managed to dial out the twitch by letting the Loewe choose its own settings. I must admit, the manual is pretty cr@p for this set and complex things are quite often described in a single short sentence.

Which leaves the minor issue of why 1440x576i is being displayed for the input. When I set the Meridian G98 scaler option to deinterlace, the Loewe Xelos registered a progressive source at last, but when in 720,1080i,auto mode, it always detected the signal as interlaced. Im not sure of this one but since HDMI/DVI is my main output, and component is a backup, then it is fine as it is.

Just for the record, for this particular combination, HDMI/DVI is noticably better than component. But then it is not like for like due to the scaling allowed via HDMI and not via component.

-Ian