1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component, DVI or HDMI?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by flexiondotorg, Nov 15, 2004.

1. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I am new here and new to plasma screens, although I have learnt a good deal by lurking in these forums for a few weeks. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did see if I could find the answer to my question below but no luck.

I am planning on upgrading my current 28" integrated widescreen to seperates and plasma screen. I have yet to decide on my final equipment list but from the screen demos I have had so far the Panasonic TH-37PW7B is at the top of my list.

Ideally I want to run just one cable to the plasma from an a/v reciever. Component seems to be the most available option on the various recievers I have on my wish list, but does HDMI or DVI offer a significant improvement in PQ?

The reason I would like some advice is so I can cut down on the demo setups I want to arrange with my local a/v supplier too better compare the results from a few different setups rather than the many I have on paper now ;-)

Thanks in advance.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Digital signals do offer an improvement, but as there are no set top boxes with this output for sky, cable or freeview, only euro1080, you won't achieve a 1 cable connection unless you buy a scaler.

3. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was working on the assumption I could simply take the video outputs from my freeview tuner and dvd player into an a/v reciever, then take a single video output from the a/v reciever to the plasma. Have I got that wrong?

I originally though I could do this using the Panasonic SAXR70 ( http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/saxr70/saxr70.htm ) to output to plasma via HDMI, but now I am favouring the Denon AVR-2805 and output to the plasma via component.

I realise I need to use some kind of RGB Scart to Component converter for my freeview tuner in either case, but thought the Denon AVR-2805 upconversion would be sufficient for my needs considering I am only going for a 37" plasma.

If the PQ benefits of HDMI are not that great I am happy the progress with Component, but I don't know if SAXR70 can do what I require. Hence my digging for info here before I make a complete numpty of myself at the showroom :)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    remix_88

I'd suggest you plan on having a three or five core video Multicore for YUV (three core) or RGBHV (five core) for Analogue 'Component' signals PLUS a DVI or HDMI cable for Digital signals.

Were in a transition stage from all Analogue to all Digital and you'll most likely end up with some of each for the foreseeable future and only having one or other cable would be frustrating if you know your DVD player was at its best with HDMI.

Keep in mind not all Analogue or Digital outputs are created equal - and whilst your source may have Analogue and Digital video outputs to make it as compatible as possible with the maximum number of ancillary units the manufacturer may have spent more time (and money) on its Digital output.

Best regards

Joe

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    A single cable is possible, just might be worth considering the alternatives. You currently cannot get a single digital cable unless you use a scaler, or at vast expense, an SDI switcher of some sort, pluggedin tv would be pleased to enlighten you on costs there!

6. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks both of you for the feedback. Unfortunately a scaler or SDI switcher is probably beyond my budget right now and I am also having to consider my girlfriends requirements in all this too, which as you can imagine complicates my choices slightly.

Aside from everything having to be black I also need to minimize the number of cables required to connect everything together and make it easy to use for her, ideally via one remote control. Again I can't really afford a 3rd party learning remote so I am planning on getting the DVD and A/V receiver from the same manufacturer so the remote functionality is covered via one, although the Plasma will be Panasonic. I thought that if I connect all my video into the A/V reciever, then out via one cable (Component, DVI or HDMI) I could remove the need to manually switch inputs on the plasma.

I only intend to hook up the following, Pace Twin PVR (via RGB Scart to Component converter), a new DVD Player (possibly a Denon 2910 or Panasonic S97) via HDMI or Component and PS/2 via S-Video.

For A/V reciever I am considering either the Denon AVR-2805 or the Panasonic SAXR70. For the Panasonic I thought it would be possible to bring all the video in and then out via one HDMI (is this possible with this unit?) and for the Denon I could take everything out as Component. Given that my screen will be 852x480 37" plasma I didn't think a scaler would be an absolute must. It certainly looks fine displaying freeview signals directly from my screentests and DVD looks wonderful. Off-air PQ is really my main concern.

I have also got an A/V receiver and DVD combo in mind from Pioneer and Yamaha, but I don't want to setup 4 different demos at my A/V retailer. Just a couple, which I why I am trying to find out more about the potential quality improvement of using HDMI and if it is worth it.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Remix_88

Only a very few VERY expensive AV Receivers have so far arrived with any Digital Video (HDMI) compatibility - the AV Receiver's you've listed (and the vast majority on the market) only deal with Analogue video sources so your looking at Inputting Composite, S-Video and YUV Component and with an 'up-converting' AV Receiver a single YUV Component output.

Again I'd suggest if you have HDMI and YUV out on your source and HDMI and YUV In on your Display I'd run two cables and use the Analogue switching of the AV Receiver for day to day 'TV' mode and when appropriate switch over to HDMI - assuming there's a benefit with the kit you go with in using HDMI.

Best regards

Joe

PS For those folk looking to switch HDMI and DVI alongside analogue through an AV Receiver we now have stock of the Zektor DVS5.1 switchers in the UK.

See http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.htm

8. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Joe, thanks for the advice.

Using two cables, connecting the DVD via HDMI to the plasma and then via component from the a/v receiver does sound like a sensible trade off.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The best value upconverting amp is probably the Onkyo 602, 7.1 and 2nd independent dtereo zone as a bonus too. This would enable you to connect 'ad hoc' any console, video camera etc via the front input, as well as the more permanently connected stuff round the back. 3 components and 6 s-videos is probably enough for the time being! If you are really smat and want to play, connect an s-video cable too, and you can get switchable picture in picture with the selectable record out feature.

10. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  11. calmac

calmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remix

I am in the same situation as yourself, i have a pw7 display on order and was wanting to minimise cables / complexity etc, i am opting for a panasonic dvd/hdd recorder which has 2 scarts, svideo and a composite inputs and upconverts all inputs to YUV output so i can plug my various bits of kit into the dvd/hdd recorder and send one YUV cable to the pw7 via a bnc input module (1/2 the price of RCA).

This takes care of one situation.

When the SA-XR70 becomes available i shall be plugging the YUV from recorder output into the av receiver and another YUV (xbox) into the av receiver and using the receiver to switch, and switch all the sound off course.
    However I shall be using the HDMI capability of the above receiver with panasonic's only HDMI dvd player- after having done some research on the SA-XR70 it appears we cannot output any signals via the HDMI output unless it receiving an HDMI input so bacically only dvd in this case, so thus i shall have to run 2 cables to the display, YUV and HDMI, YUV shall be for all kit connected either to the dvd/hdd recorder and av reciever and the HDMI shall be for dvd only as that appears to be my only option within budget at this point in time.

Hope this has shed some light on the situation.

Beware i am new to all this stuff so i may stand corrected on any of the above points but i am quite content with my research so far :blush:

Thanks

Calmac

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The saxr 70 has an interesting spec, but great shame it has only 1 hdmi input, bit of a waste of time as it then has no function not already covered by existing technology. Especially as HDMI has yet to implement multi channel sound across the board, so check for this before buying the DVD.
    Remix, you been checking out my demo system? Onkyo have dropped out of the UK market, in spite of being one of the big boys in Japan, and are now desperate to re-establish, so the stuff is fantastic value. Not many dealers though, says he smugly...

13. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Calmac, thanks for the info. Our goals are slightly different in that I want DVD-Audio and SACD playback, but have no need for DVD Recording. So my choice of DVD player would differ and therefore my connection options. I think I will run HDMI direct to the plasma from DVD (should I get a HDMI equiped DVD player) and Componet from the a/v reciever.

I really like the look of the SAXR70 on paper and according the the 2005 Panasonic catalog the HDMI interface does support multi channel audio when paired with the Panasonic S97 DVD player. Sadly, this combo is looking like less of an option for me as the SAXR70 doesn't do video up conversion :-(

MAW, I went web hunting yesterday and discovered that Onkyo is available in John Lewis and Audio-T (both or which have branches near) but I get the impression that you can get Onkyo stock? If so, can you quote me? ;-) Better still, can you provide demos?

I have checked the Onkyo sites for specs and apart from the lack of HDMI on the DVD player and multi channel digital audio interconnects the Onkyo DV-SP502E and TX-SR602E pairing looks good for my requirements on paper. Nice price at a RRP for both at around 750 quid, much cheaper than the Denon DVD-2190 and AVR-2805 combo but very similar specs.

14. rhodos

rhodos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I dont have the single lead requirement but I do want to upgrade my £60 RGB Scart only DVD now I have a £2K screen (PW7).

Would you guys recommend going for a HDMI over a component connection even on a budget (e.g. samsung 945) player or at the sub-£200 mark are you better placed sticking with component connections????

Sorry if this should go in the player forum but its a connectivity query on a plasma not a best DVD query.