Component DVD player that just plays DVD's. Is there one out there?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mojo-Filter, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Mojo-Filter

Mojo-Filter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi folks,
    I am afraid I have overdosed on DVD reviews, so much kit, so many opinions, so many formats :confused:
    What I am looking for is in the title really just a multi region component DVD player that plays DVD's, -R's and +R's (maybe DivX) nothing with all the bells and whistles that I wont use anyway, SACD and all that jazz.
    Does anyone have any recommendations? I like the look of the Pioneer 575 but all those extras put me off, kind of like a jack of all trades master of none situation, strange I know but I like a DVD player to play DVD's and play them well. Budget would be in the region of £200. Am I out of my mind for thinking like this about the Pioneer? Put me in my place if I am or point me in the direction of the light if you know otherwise.

Thanks in advance

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
  3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Know what you mean but be assured the 575's DVD playing ability is excellent and doesn't seem to have been compromised at all by its other features.

Having said that, the Phillips player above also seems to be a bit of a bargain, albeit it seems to have as many bells & whistles as the 575...PJ :thumbsup:

4. tino79

tino79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Mojo-Filter

Mojo-Filter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    WOW!!! Many thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions. I shall check them out. To be honest I was starting to get lost looking for a player. You have all certainly narrowed things down for me as well as free up some budget for other things :smashin: You cant get any better than that. Cheers all :thumbsup:

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I use a Sony 585. It only plays DVD's (all types) and CD's. I didn't need the extra stuff that other players have. It has been replaced with the NS52. It has the same spec but looks very slightly different and has DiVX. It is around £80.

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/dvpns52/dvpns52.htm

7. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
  8. Mojo-Filter

Mojo-Filter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks to all for your suggestions and advice, much appreciated. I have decided to go for the Pionner DV-575A, which I believe supports DivX through updated firmware, I am right? Anyway looks like about £90 should do the damage so I am delighted with that, to hell with the other formats I like this player, looks, picture the lot so I am going to go for it. Thanks to all again. :smashin: