1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component conversion

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stimpy, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question.
    My DVD player has a Component out connection (pioneer 525).
    I will be getting a replacement Plasma soon. Looking at all the current
    plasmas it seems as if you no longer get a seperate tuner box, i.e. you have to connect everything directly to the Plasma (far too many cables to go into the wall).
    Now I could just run an S-vid cable from my av amp to the plasma, obviously this is the lowest common denominator for all of my kit (DVD, SKY+,VCR,PS2).
    The question is could I daisy chain via scart to my DVD player then use just the component out to connect to the plasma, i.e. will the dvd player do the conversion from the other formats, e.g. RGB from SKY+ and PS2 and s-vid from the VCR????

Or do I still need to go down the route of various converters to component???

Cheers

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No it won't. Unless you change it for a DMRE55. You can get an amp or switch box to switch component though, convert sky to component, and get a ps2 component kit. The just 2 cables, component and s-video. Or look out for a 2nd hand iscan ultra, this will connect with VGA, no video boards needed, and top class processor/deinterlacer too. The other way is to get an AV amp that does upconversion, like the Denon 3803/3805. You could get a bargain 3803 just now.

3. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunatly my budget will not allow for an ISCAN or a new amp.
    I therefore have three options. potentially four
    1) Just use S-Vid, this gave acceptable results with a Pro-V unfortunatly knicked as well
    2) Use my VIVID VTB100 box (component, S-VID, Composite -->VGA) which gave really crap results on my old pz14 (solarisation being the biggest problem) (went back to the Pro-V)
    3) Component from DVD to screen the rest via S-vid.
    4) Use RGB scart and daisy chain the DVD/SKY/PS2 and get a S-Vid/composite to RGB converter if such a thing exists, or will an RGB scart input usually be able to work with an S-Vid/composite signal anyway???

It looks like my replacement screen will be the new LG RZ42PX11 which seems to be considerably better than my old MZ42PZ14 I used to have (on paper anyway).

Why do all the connections have to be on the screen, when most people will be hanging the plasma on the wall any way and don't want to hide loads of cables in the wall. The worst thing is the new LG has all of the connections I require.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Stimpy

If your not looking to get Video and Audio up to the Screen and your keen to stick to one Video cable you can do the following for now and with a bit of adaptation (as and when budget or upgrades arrive) you can make future changes and still retain the one cable.

DVD to Plasma - YUV Component on 3 x RCA

SKY+ to AV Receiver - S-Video
    PS2 to AV Receiver - S-Video
    VCR to AV Receiver - S-Video

AV Receiver to Plasma - S-Video

If you install a 5 Core Video Multicore (such as the VanDamme Red series) you have 5 (or more) video lines to play with; 3 for YUV and 2 for S-Video.

You can have the Multicore cable made up as 5RCA to 5RCA and then use short 2RCA(F) to S-Video Breakout adapters on two lines at each end of the cable.

Best regards

Joe

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Very future proof, as you can always re-plug the 5 core as a VGA cable when you decide to get a scaler! We use the Veda stuff, which has a twisted pair and shield for IR as well.

6. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the following.

Daisy chain PS2,SKY+,DVD using RGB (DVD player seems to support RGB daisy chaining)
    then DVD to Plasma using 3RCA to HD15 cable
    Single S-VID run from VCR (or direct to composite as I am running a small composite to S-vid converter so I can switch everything via S-vid on the amp)

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Stimpy

The daisy chain will most likely work (though three up is a pain as you have to ensure everything your not viewing is in standby).

SCART RGB is a FOUR core (RGB+Composite sync) signal not THREE core.

Many displays don't take RGB+C into the HD15 input at video level(15.6Khz) - that's where a JS Technology RGB2VGA converter comes in; it converts the Four core RGB+C to FIVE core RGBHV; though again you have to ensure your display is compatible with RGB at 15.6Khz.

If your display is not compatible with RGB video on its HD15 Input you will require a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter ahead of your 3RCA to HD15 cable.

If your VCR is Composite your better off leaving it as composite if your not going to switch it via the AV Receiver.

My first plan took into account - Low Budget and Single cable to the Display; pretty much any alternative is going to require active conversion and two or more cables!

Best regards

Joe

8. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can any kind soul point me in the direction of a 3803 please?

I have searched the web high and low and cannot seem to find one :(

Thanks

Steve

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    sjl, let me make a call in the am, it might be too late, but worth a phone call.

10. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one going on ebay at the moment.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The 3803 is excellent for this, everything as component = 1 video cable. Put your best sources in as component, ie DVD and sky, any others possible as s-video, leaving only the vhs as composite input. It won't look much better when upconverted to component, bit less wobbly perhaps, but it will be on the screen at least.