1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component conundrum

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Shrink, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

I'm completely confused.

Last week I took delivery of a PWD6 and ordered a Belden/Canare component cable (for DVD) and a Belden/Canare composite cable (VHS and cable via a Pioneer AV integrated amp). Over the past week I've used an existing Ixos composite cable through the AV amp for everything.

So today I take delivery of the cables and connect them up. Somehow, the new composite cable give a significantly better picture than the component. The detail is much more present and the colour are brighter. There is no way that I'm mixing the inputs up. Ive used the multi pip feature to put the pics right next to each other, and have removed the composite cable from the amp to check that the labelling isn't confused. I've also set the picture parameters, contrast, brightness, sharpness and also the screen saving features to exactly the same.

I've also got a second opinion to confirm that my eyesight isn't playing tricks.

What's going on?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what mode is PW6 ie normal Dynamic etc is the display calibrated? what input on the PW6 and what DVD player are you using? and is it progressive?

3. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

It's on Normal and it's not calibrated. I'm using a Toshiba DR1 DVD recorder on component going into the double size 'y' card on the PW6 input 3. I've got the composite running into the same card on input 2. It doesn't seem to make much difference if it's on progressive or not.

I'm really stumped here.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have you got composite cable from DVD recorder? I have never used the dual boards..... more money in selling them indiviually.... :blush:
    not being rude but i have met peeps who did prefer the saturated and over bright composite connection instead of a proper high quality connection.

5. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried running the composite directly from the DVD, but I will and will report back.

The odd thing is that the component one is brighter on the same settings and very slightly bleached out. I know it sounds crazy, but I've really checked that I'm not mixing the two pics up. Putting the progressive on brings out a bit more detail, but there isn't much in it compared to the difference between composite and component.

For example, I've just tried with 'Ice Age' which has got really clear definition. If I look at a tree trunk, I can see more detail on the composite than on component.

Thanks for your interest by the way.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ICE age is bad comparison disc as it will flatter any dispaly being completely CG I perfer to use Blade 2 club scene at start and Diva dance in fith element for comparisons.

7. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just tried the composite directly from the DVD and it was interesting. There is still more detail in it, but it brought the two closer together and made me realise that one difference is that the colours are 'muddier' on composite than on component (but less muddy when direct from DVD). I think I mistook this for 'darker' before. I mean, it's still darker and sharper, but also muddier. It's the lower level of detail that is a puzzle though.

Would any of the 'advanced settings' help with this?

Thanks again

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a component picture is more like a pastel colour than a flourescent colour (but the director intedned a pastel colour.... its very hard to determine whats realistic without a reference level.....

9. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got either of these... I'll go to Blockbuster tomorrow.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what have you got that is DARK..... Matrix? ubiquitous Lobby scene
    and realistic??? PEarl harbour? Chicken game at start
    Other good ones are............ Well loads and loads... Do you have a large DVD collection or just a select few?
    Startrek nemesis has some good bits too.

11. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe what you are saying is that now that I have shelled out for the component cable I need to re-educate my eyes/perception. Also I clearly need to get Video Essentials or something similar.

I suppose if it is just detail that I'm after I should have got a HD screen! My wife keeps telling me not to study the detail but to appreciate the overall effect... however my theory has been that if the detail is better, the overall effect will be more involving.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    stupid question but try turning down the lights in your lounge Ambient light makes a huge difference to the quality of video (actually more than anything you can do to the settings, cables or soucre material [assumingreasonable starting level])

13. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all relative but I have around a hundred DVDs I guess. Quite a lot are either children's films or low budget ones, but I can certainly find some with dark scenes. The Lord of the Rings trilogy should be of a pretty high standard. I'll try putting one of those on.

14. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do. Low lights and 'The Two Towers'.

I really appreciate your time by the way.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no worries mate invoice in the post..................
    so seen the difference yet?

16. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I watched Van Helsing (if that's the correct spelling) on my PE30 feed by component from a Toshiba 330 DVD player tonight. It is the first time I have turned all the lights off and watched in a dark enviroment. It was absolutley superb. It was the best picture I have seen my set produce, everything was spot on, from the glorious colours to the deep, but detailed blacks. I was well chuffed to say the least. I'm not sure if it was down to the room lighting or the recording, but it has opened my eyes to what this set can deliver.

17. Shrink

Shrink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm convinced. I just watched a good chunk with the lights out on the standard 'normal' setting. With the composite input whole areas were blacked out in some of the darker scenes while detail was visible using component.

I think I'm going to have to stay with it for a while and see if I learn to appreciate what might be added subtlety, at the expense of fine, close up detail. I hope I do because that cable wasn't cheap! :)

Is Video Essentials the 'tune up' disk to go for?

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK so now you guys know the importance of lighting control...... I suggest you play with it a bit and get a copy of Digital video essentials from Power section.....
    correct lighting and basic calibration will do wonders for PQ..... Also Orlando you will enjoy a good film (ie not van helsing) even more.