Component Connections

johndj1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I know I've asked this before but never really understood the answer. :confused:

I'm about to invest in one of Dr John's boxes and would like to know how many component outs there are from the RGB to Component converter.

I have three inputs on my plasma but often see component cables sold in sets of four, five or six.

I recognise that the additional cables are for synching but where does that leave me?

Please help the terminally stoopid.

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

John's box has just 3 outputs (R, G and B). With a component signal, the sync is on G, so there is no need for H or V sync connections (some plasmas have 5 terminals to allow these additional sync connections - e.g. for computer RGBHV input). You will just need a 3-lead component cable to connect from RGB converter to your plasma R, G and B component input terminals.

There are 2 other gold-plated terminals on the converter, but these are just stereo audio passthrough from the SCART input.

Hth,
Phil

The output from this box is YUV, using three RCA (phono) sockets. You need a three core cable with RCA connections at each end (assuming you have RCA on the plasma)

James

Dan,

Sorry for any confusion - James is correct in using the YUV terminology, which is how John's box is labelled. For a description of the difference between YUV and RGB, read this sticky on the DVD forum...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43445

The basic thing to take away though is, as James says, you just need a 3 plug - 3 plug lead.

Phil

Thanks chaps, very interesting sticky.

Last questions, promise:

If I go for Dr John's RGB to VGA box what percentage of programmes will lose their just through a sky box (fairly dumb question I know, but my plasma does not have a Just option on the menu and I'm wondering whether it does it automatically.

That sticky says that I may have some degradation through a converter. Given this, combined with the fact that I'm using a composite at the moment, can you give any idication of the increase in quality of the picture I will get going to component through one of Dr John's boxes.

Cheers

johndj1

Not sure about the 'percentage' question - I think elsewhere on this forum a few 'heavy' SKY users have outlined the channels that may be affected most if you dont have a 'just' mode.

As far as viewing your Digibox as RGB converted to Component or Plasma VGA via one of Dr Johns boxes as opposed to viewing your Digibox on its standard Composite feed you will wonder why it took you so long to make the change once you reconnect the system with one of Dr Johns boxes in line.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom