1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component connections via AV amp

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by geepers, May 30, 2004.

1. geepers

geepers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Denon AVR 3802 receiver has component video inputs and outputs.

Can anyone explain what benefit there is, if any, in connecting my Sky or DVD player to my plasma's component inputs after first connecting them to the receiver?

Currently I have Sky connected directly to the plasma's component inputs via a JS Tech RGB2Component converter.

The Denon manual is no help, it just says connect them but does not say why!

Cheers!

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i am going to be connecting my stuff up through the Amp like you mentioned and the benefit for me is i can use 1 single cable and go from the AMP component out to the Plasma VGA in means no extra boards needed and only 1 single cable going up the wall to my plasma

3. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've recently done this very thing with my new Yamaha AV amp, which upscales everything to a component signal. So I've got my main DVD player and freeview box connected with component leads and everything else like DVD recorder etc. connected via S-Video. This is then all connected to directly to my plasma via one set of component leads, very tidy! I haven't noticed any loss in picture quality through doing this, either with the component loop-through or the S-Video upscaling - although I'd love to know if there is technically any picture degradation through this process. Perhaps one of the more technically minded board members could let me know?

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    As others have said, the benefit is you only need 1 cable from amp to screen and you won't need to keep switching inputs on your plasma.

The drawbacks are there may be some degradation as you are passing the signal through another device (additional physical connections, bandwidth, etc.).
    And if the scaling/up conversion done in the amp is not very good then you will suffer some loss there too.
    Also, different sources (Sky, DVD) usually require different settings on the display and by using physically different inputs on the plasma, you can fine tune each input for the source.
    By using the same input for each source you will have to compromise on the set-up for DVD, Sky, VCR, etc.
    In practice I have found that the settings can vary significantly so you may want to check whether you're getting the best from your kit with the single cable set-up.

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    What bandwidth do you need in an Amp to give full component signal throughout without signal degredation ?

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Not sure but a quick search elicited this:

NTSC Broadcast and VHS: 4.2 MHz
    Laser Disk: 5.3 MHz
    Regular NTSC DVD: 7 (6.8) MHz
    Progressive Scan NTSC DVD and 480p DTV: 13.5 MHz
    1080i HDTV: 37 MHz; in practice with 22 MHz the picture is still very superb.
    720p HDTV; 37 MHz.

This page has a pretty good bandwidth calculator: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/bandwidthcalculator.html

7. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for this Brogan. I have the Yamaha RX-V1400RDS, in the specs page of the instruction manual it quotes the frequency response from the monitor out as: Composite, S-Video 5 Hz to 10 MHz, -3db, and Component, 5 Hz to 60 Mhz, -3 dB.

Am I safe to assume I'm not suffering from any real signal degradation on these figures? Or am I completely off track here :) ! As I said in my antecedent post I honestly can't see any difference on either the component loop-through or S-Video up-scaling aspects of PQ.

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I suspect you won't in practice as one would have to assume the manufacturer has engineered it so a sufficient spec' to achieve its purpose...
    I am by no means knowledgable in this area so I'll let one of the resident experts provide a 'definitive' response.

As I suggested earlier, the main issue I would have would be using 1 input on the plasma for all sources and hence having to compromise on the picture settings (contrast, brightness, colour, etc.).

9. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    My Denon AVC-11SR has 3 x 50Mhz so I should be okay ?

10. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    geepers

If you only have one Component (YUV) signal (SKY via your RGB2YUV converter) there is NO benefit in wiring it via your AV Receiver.

As others have said the only reason for wiring via an AV Receiver or External Component switch (such as a Zektor) is where you have multiple Component sources and only one input on the Plasma.

Best regards

Joe

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello Brogan

Keep in mind that many displays do indeed have multiple 'memory' banks on a single input; each signal type can have a different set-up; though as you say if the signal types are all identical it can be problematic if you don't have a way of quickly recalling various settings on the Plasma.

An external scaler is a good way around this as they 'usually' have multiple memory banks per input so its easy enough to have two or more 'same type' signals attached and still achieve correct settings for each 'same type' source.

Best regards

Joe

13. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    A bit of "real life" here, I had my cable box setup via composite video to the plasma and picture was foul. Put composite into the denon (which did it's funky stuff and uprated it to component) and the picture was great!

I have since done a RGB2YUV -> Component and used the component loop through for the cable box, needless to say picture is even better.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    FaxFan2002

Please keep in mind not all Denon (or other brand) AV Receivers offer Video Up-Conversion from Composite and S-Video to YUV Component.

Geepers has the Denon AVR-3802 which does NOT have this 'feature' and going from RGB to YUV using an external converter is preferable to Composite to YUV via Up-Conversion on any AV Receiver I've tried.

Best regards

Joe

15. Omar

Omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely ease of use must be a factor ie. One remote to control video and audio switching rather than multiple remotes.

Also connecting via YUV will give you progressive scan from your DVD player.

I have a sony AMP and connect SKy and my DVD via the AV to the plasma - picture sems great.

I am planning to but a KISS player for DiVX films but have run out of component inputs on my AMP so will have to buy a component board for the Plasma - however this will mean having to switch the channel over on the Plasma and the AMP when I want to use it !

16. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    How would this work then Joe?
    Say for example I am using AV3 on the 504 which is component via an AX10i and that is switching from multiple sources (e.g.DVD, Sky, VCR, PS2, etc.).
    Surely the brightness, contrast, colour, etc. settings are not going to change on AV3 based on the source as the settings are related to the input, not the signal that is fed into it? :confused:

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Can do that anyway with the AX5 or AX10 remote. I have a macro programmed which means just 2 button presses to switch on Sky, amp and plasma :)

Not required with my set-up as I use HDMI from DVD to plasma.

Now if my amp had HDMI up-conversion (and perhaps RGN scart to component) I may consider it but as it doesn't, I have what I believe is currently the best set-up which is HDMI for DVD, RGB scart for Sky+ and component for PS2.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello Omar

Ease of use - as you say a single remote does make sense if it can do everything you require.

Using your AV Receiver to pre switch same type video signals is an option - though not so great with different type signals unless your AV Receiver has the video conversion as mentioned.

YUV will only 'give you' Progressive Scan if your source device is Progressive Scan - plenty of sources with YUV out only provide Interlaced YUV.

Multiple YUV - if you have more YUV sources than you have YUV inputs on your AV Receiver and you want to retain the simplicity of using the AV Receiver remote to pre select your sources for Video and Audio you could consider one of the Zektor HDS4 units we import from the US.

The HDS4 has four YUV in (plus Digital or Analogue audio) and has the ability to 'learn' the IR from your AV Receiver.

You wire your YUV video signals to the HDS4 and the Audio direct to the AV Receiver and then when you select an Input on the AV Receiver the HDS4 switches in tandem with the AV Receiver and you have seamless switching of up to four YUV signals using the AV Receiver's remote (I hope that makes sense) - I do this in my own system with a Pioneer VSX-AX5i Receiver as it only has two YUV inputs and I have four YUV sources.

Best regards

Joe

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello Brogan

Please note I said 'SOME' Plasma Displays have this feature not all - and many of the PlasmaTV models don't have this feature.

Often when a display does have this feature you have to make the individual settings in the 'service' or 'engineering' mode - not the top level menus.

Currently the PDP-504HDE is limited in this respect - we are trying to get Pioneer UK to take on the ISF Calibration software that's been developed in conjunction with Pioneer USA which will allow an ISF calibrator to go in and set two memory banks (day time + night time) per signal type so if you pre switch different sources to one Input on your Media Box you should have enough control to ensure you can access the best set up for each source.

An alternative is to add a scaler to your system - the new Lumagen VisionHDP has eight memory banks.

Best regards

Joe

20. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for the clarification Joe.
    I personally have no need of this functionality but it's good to know there are options available.