1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component connection to a PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by adrianp, Jun 15, 2004.

1. adrianp

adrianp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I understand it there are 3 options for connecting component video to a Panasonic PWD6 plasma.

1. The VGA port. (0 slots)
    2. A TY-42TM6Y combined component/S/composite card. (2 slots)
    3. A TY-42TM6A component card. (1 slot)

I would like to know if any of the options provide a better quality picture?

Also for my Sky/Tivo is it better to use a JS Tech. RGB2VGA convertor (no colour controls, red push?), RGB2Component converter (what differences are there?), as the SCART input seems best avoided.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Adrian

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    All three options should yield the same quality. Some may say that the BNC connectors on the Y card give the best interface and hence bets quality, but I don't think you would notice the difference...

RGB2VGA vs RGB2YUV...the RGB2VGA definitely produces a sharper image, but as you say you lose colour control etc. The RGB2YUV will leave the colour option but is a slightly softer picture - the RGB2YUV may also be more use later on if you decided to add a scaler as quite a few of these have YUV inputs...both are great converters so you just need to decide what is more important to you...

JJ

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most common reason for the YUV converter is for an amp with YUV switching. Makes it simpler for 'er indoors to use, just 1 button to push. A minor point, and negated if your sound system does not offer this.