1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component connection on AV amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yan, May 5, 2003.

1. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help answer what the component connections on av amps are used for? I have my screen connected to my DVD player via the component connections and the DVD player to the amp using an electrical digital cable. Is there another way of setting up my system via the components connections on the amp?

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You use the Component connectors if you want to use the amp to switch video signals as well as audio.

E.g. I have my DVD and Sky box* connected to my Pionner via component to the amp, then the amp to my Plasma. That way I use the amp to switch video source and audio.

* via a sync seperator convertor, RGB to component

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The amps component connections can be used for video switching. If you have more than one component source then you can plug both into the amp and then when you change the amps source it also switches to the correct component input to be output to the screen.

Mark.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can route the connection via the amp but if you have one source only it might not be necessary.

5. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 3 component inputs (GC, Xbox and DVD). If I put these through an amp will I lose any quality additional to the extra cable length?

6. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I can't notice any difference in quality when running through the amp as opposed to direct.

7. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for the reply that has cleared thing up for me, could I also ask where I can get a sync seperator convertor, RGB to component as decribe by jhjerpe. Will anyone do or do they vary in quality? Thanks again

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi yan,

You can get an excellent quality RGB to component converter from JS Technology at www.rgbtosvideo.com

Steve

9. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've got the JS tech one, very good. Outperformed the EYP one I tried before, which has issues with going through an amp for some reason.

10. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any loss or improvement in picture quality if connecting via the amp. Wouldnt it be better to connect everything directly to my plasma from the source and thus avoid any futher processing that may occur.

I have the DVD player connected directly to my plasma via the component connections rather than through the amp, Sky is connected to the plasma via an RGB to VGA scaler rather than using s-video via the amp for SKY.

Whilst it provides video switching couldn't the convinience and ease also be supplied via an all-in-one remote and so maintain the best level of clarity.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A direct connection is of course preferred if you have a sufficient number of inputs, though some would claim the degradation (if any) is not noticable. May depend on make and model though.

In your case I would thus stick with the direct connection.