1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component connection, image totally messed up

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pr0xZen, Apr 6, 2005.

1. pr0xZen

pr0xZen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my Pioneer 575A today, freshly multiregion and newest firmware. As I finally had a dvd-player capable of progressive scan, I connected the player to the TV using the component connections. Now, the very instant I selected "progressive" in the component settings, The image turned from fine to nightmare.

Colors are utterly mocked up, showing block overlays ov colors, and the very image itself - scewed out of proportions at every possible angle. The images also flickers so insanely much I couldn't even find my way to undo the setting, and had to reset the player.

Can anyone :lease: suggest what might be wrong/what happened, and/or a remedy? The player is conenctoed to a Panny TX36PL35F (basicly the same as TX36PL32, just different name for northern europe I believe).

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Is the TV PAL progressive comaptible, and not just NTSC progressive?

3. pr0xZen

pr0xZen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on a minute, I'm actually not sure. Checking the manual. But the player is capable of progressive for both.

4. pr0xZen

pr0xZen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, after going through the manual 3 times, in 2 different languages, I couldn't find anything else than "Progressive Scan: Yes." I googled a whole lot, and found that others have no problem viewing both NTSC and PAL Progressive Scan.
    Although, some complain about slight flickering and headaches when viewing PAL PS - but that I am fairly certain to have learned is more of an individual thing. Pretty much same as with the rainbow effect with projectors - some experience it, some just dont.

5. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Are you sure that you have the three component leads connected correctly? I accidently got two of them the wrong way round once and had the sort of effects you're describing.

6. pr0xZen

pr0xZen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm not really certain. I disconnected all the connections, and reconnected. When disconnectiong, I managed to send the Y connector to hell. So, I did what any desperate person would do. Look for substitutes. I found one, in the box the DVD-player came with. A composite cable, with stereo rca connectors.

At first, I got no picture. I then realized I had connected a scart to the save AV-channel that runs the component. After removing this, I stil got nothing. So, I desperately tried again. Connected with composite cable back to composite connectors, and got the menu. It was then made clear to me, that the AV-output setting in the 575's "inital settings" have 3 choices. At first i ran this on a Monster M scart, RGB style. The settings on the 575 allowed for "Video", "S-Video" and "RGB". What turned out, was that when RGB is enabled, the component connection is disabled.

Quoting Denis Leary - "So I went back to the seven god damn eleven..." - I here set the AV connetion to "Video", and enabled "Progressive" on the component settings. I had to "do a reboot" as I needed to move the composite cable though. Once the TV was on, a new entry on the settings showed up - 100/120Hz (depending on PAL/PAL60/NTSC source) - and Progressive.

I finally got it to work. Even with the mock-up in-box composite cable used as a component cable, it made a world of difference. I'm also furtunate enough to not notice any particular flicker during PAL progressive scan. The picture is razor sharp, crisp and clean. Could be better, I see that, but it is a vast improvement. But - the colors and their quality, is poor and blended. I guess this is what you get when using out-of-the-box composite cables for component. Belden 7710A/Canare on the way.

By the way- I always had an issue with this - something that didn't really change when swithing from RGB scart (Monster M cable) to component. With the scart I've also tried my other two dvd players, and they all show the same. so I guess it's the TV. The issue is this: When showing bright light, such as the snowy mountains in the Two Towers intro, or bright sunny skies, the area wich is bright sorta flickers. The areas wich are dark (darker than "that" anyways, stays the same.

Any suggestions? It's a Panny TX36PL35F (same as TX36PL32 and TX36PL35D)