Component Connection Confusion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Davidedwards, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony GX3 DVD recorder but cannot get a picture from it on my Philips LCD 30PF9975 via component only leads.
    It works fine with a scart connection but I hear that component gives the best picture.
    I've switched component to 'on' in the Sony menu, but when I switch to the Philips socket 5 - component in, all I get is a blue screen with 'picture format not available'.
    Spoke to Philips today who told me the Sony needs to output progressive component signals and not interlaced ones to be compatible with the Philips component input requirements.
    Sony not open today to ask which of these their machine outputs.
    Does this mean anything to anyone?
    What am I doing wrong?

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    David,

Your Sony can only output interlaced signals and I'm assuming from what your saying your Philips display can only display non-interlaced (progressive) via the component input.

You could always buy a de-interlacer/scaler to process the signal for you.

There's not many DVD-Recorders on the market that output Prog Scan. The only ones I know of are the Toshiba DR1 and the JVC DRM1. There may be others that I don't know about.

Read about Progressive Scan here

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In the HCC Review they say that they could feed it 576p & 1080i via it's component inputs, but not 480i, 480p, 720i or 720p... Bizarre

4. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the last post.
    I spoke to Sony today who confirmed that the GX3 component output is progressive and should work with a TV requiring progressive component input. No mention of any 'numbers' (1080i, 480i, etc - mean nowt to me by the way!), so maybe this is the problem that although they're both progressive the numbers don't tie up?
    Just wish I knew for sure then I could leave it be and just watch the bloody thing!!
    Cheers!