1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component connecting

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by JayBeeS3, Feb 15, 2005.

1. JayBeeS3

JayBeeS3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

Small question:

I have recently bought an Epson TW200H projector and would like to connect 2 separate sources.
    The first one is my DV88+ DVD player from Arcam (via PS component). For this I bought a 10m component cable.

Since last week I also have a settopbox for digital TV. This box can be connected to the TV via a scart cable and has another scart exit to run to a different Tv or Video or whatever.
    The scart out is Scart/RGB and my idea was to connect the settopbox to the Epson projector. Ofcourse I could buy another 10m (scart) cable and plug this in the Epson via a converting cable to the projector (cable supplied with projector).

But I thought would it be possible to run only one 10m long component cable to the projector and connect on the other side both the DVD and the settopbox. In other words, I think I need something like a splitter for the component and then some sort of thingy to connect component to the Scart/RGB exit of the settopbox.

Does anybody know if this is the right way of thinking and/or is a component splitter available anywhere and will there be no interference of signals (ofcourse I will only switch on one source at a time).

Thanks in advance!

:D

2. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you need JS tech converter to convert Scart RGB from settopbox to component. Then (not sure if you have this) but use your amplifier to plug in both component and use that as the switch.

3. JayBeeS3

JayBeeS3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm, I think my amp only has one entry for component via 3 phono plugs..... I have to look what type of plugs I can put in the component entry of my amp.....

good idea tho

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    JayBeeS3

Two options - neither of them low cost I'm afraid.

As Krance suggests you could convert the SCART RGB output from your Digibox to YUV and then add a YUV switcher to your system - total cost approx 400.00 GBP.

See
    http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=36&osCsid=ff89481ecc1cbf4b99b4dd2e690ff0fa

and

http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.htm

Another option is to consider adding an external Video processor between all of your sources and the Projector - a Lumagen VisionDVI (SRP £815.00) will input Composite, S-Video, YUV, RGB along with encrypted (HDCP) and non encrypted Digital (HDMI and DVI) signals and Output One 'optimised' signal to your projector.

See http://www.lumagen.com/new_products.htm

You'll have all the switching you want + optimised video + one cable to the projector.

Best regards

Joe

5. JayBeeS3

JayBeeS3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oooops....... quite costly my ideas.... :rolleyes:

well the other option is still to run an extra component cable to the projector and connect that to the D4 input connector (there should be a cable for that).

I checked the backpanel of my FMJ22 and saw there was only one input and one output for component, so via the amp is a nono.

just have to buy a RGB -> component box.

I founds one here: http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?APT1

just need to find a supplier here in Gloggyland......

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    JayBeeS3

D4 is only supported on a limited range of Japanese kit - I'm not sure if it takes YUV.

The RGB2YUV converter in my earlier post is (to my eyes) superior to anything Keen have produced in the past - shipping a JS Technology converter to the Netherlands is a minimal additional cost; JS Technology will ship one out no problem.

Best regards

Joe

PS If you were to install a Zektor YUV switcher in your set up it can be taught to seamlessly switch in tandem with your audio switcher.

7. JayBeeS3

JayBeeS3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Joe,

thanks for your advise.

according to the manual of my projector it should be possible to get component into the D4 connector, just find the right component -> D4 cable.

Although one of those Zektor HDS4 looks quite nice....... (especially if I want to connect a PC to the projector in the future).

decisions decisions.........