Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Component cabling query?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by longleyc, Aug 21, 2005.

1. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using 3 RCA Phono plugs to connect my DVD to my TV, via the component connections. They cost about £40 and are gold plated etc etc. They work just fine.

However I was told by some spotty sales rep that I must have "component cables". I checked, and to my mind they are just the same as rca phono plugs I use anyway. They box is just labelled Component Connectors.

My guess is they are one and the same, but at £60 maybe a tad more quality. In no idiot, but no expert either, so am I being conned into making an unneccessary purchase?

Can I assume that if I bought the highest quality and most expensive rca cables that money could buy, I could use them on any number of rca connectors that I wished .i.e. Component, Composite or Audio rca connectors?

2. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    AFAIK, component cables are just rca cables- when I bought my panasonic es10 dvd recorder it only came with a set of crappy composite cables (yellow red white rca's at both ends) but I used them to output prog scan to my tosh 36 tele till I could be bothered to go out and buy some 'real' component cables which in the end cost me £7 from dixons! (they're jvc branded).

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
  4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Component cables are designed to a 75ohm impedence and closely matched for length since they carry seperate colour signals/information. They are also well screened to prevent any stray contamination of signals to adjacent cables.

Audio RCA cables are not of this flavour. While the best may well exhibit some of the quality's of Component they are not designed to: closely matched lengths, carry video or 75ohm impedance. I would also expect since video is a much higher frequency than audio an audio cable would not fair well at video frequency's.

Despite this because they are screened cables with RCA connectors they will envitably produce a picture but a properly designed cable should provide better performance

5. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay thanks guys FYI.
    Prob get the component cables from Toshiba. They are around £40 anf 75ohm.
    I can use the standard rca`s for audio purposes elsewhere. Though they work okay on Component.

6. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recommend a decent component cable / supplier?
    Oh whats better? Toslink or Coaxial digital?

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Erm, toslink / coax digitial? I think you are talking about digital sound rather than component cables as (1) they are only coax (2) component is an analogue signal

These days there is little in it between optical or coax for sound - traditionally optical was considered better for long runs and coax for short but with the changes in cable quality I doubt there is much difference these days

8. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I know the difference bewteen those standards.
    My question was in two parts :smashin:
    Any way I found some decent component cables and Toslink/Coaxial cables too.

End of thread.

9. fireemblem555

fireemblem555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although Audio Rca cables aren't made to carry 75 ohm component signals, the component effect can be achieved via three yellow composite video, which are designed to carry video. Personally i have fine results with a yellow and red and white for green red and blue, but videophiles should only suibstitute the three 75 ohm cables with three 75 ohm composite cables for a slightly cheaper option.