1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Cheng, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

A HC newbie here :)
    Are component cables just phono cables?

I have a Tosh. 36ZT29B and a Tosh. 220E, both of them have component video connections, so I was wondering if I could use this cable, or is this cable just for audio?

http://www.grandata.co.uk/acatalog/Grandata__3_Phono_to_3_Phono_688.html

Its a 3 phono to 3 phono cable made by Thor.

If I used a audio phono cable, would it make a difference?

Thanks.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, yes, and thrice yes. (one for red one for green and one for blue:devil: )

They are "only" phono cables to some extent.

But they're different on the inside - Video cables have a 50 ohm resistance, where as audio does not (I think).

For a short while (until my HCC room settled down into its final position) I used high quality audio phono cables. Once everything was in place I switched them for dedicated 50 ohm video cable.

Technically I'm not sure what the difference is but it does affect the information distributed down the cable, exhibiting some noise or loss of definition that kind of thing.

To get you out of a hole or to try a combination of things out, then cheap phono cables will work, but you should look to replacing them with decent dedicated cables at some point.

its like spending £2k on speakers and then only using bell wire to wire them up - just a waste

3. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So these Thor 3 phono to 3 phono cables will work fine for video? (i.e. are they video or audio cables?)

Also, I thought video cables were meant to have a 75ohm resistance, not 50?

Thanks for the help.

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I stand corrected 75 it is:blush: it must be audio that is 50 then.

The cable in the link seems to be 1x video (yellow) and l/r audio (red/white)

so its a mixture of audio and video designed for composite use so it wont be a particulalry high spec.

If you're only buying this cable for component - don't

Talk to The Media Factory (do a search on these forums) who use vandamme cables.

Or go direct to VanDamme (again if you search for VanDamme) you'll get a few hits.

I got 10m componet cable for approx £50

If you don't want to spend that much then you aren't going to get "proper" component cables - you'll have to use something like the Thor cables - they're just not designed for that and will give you mixed results - you may get ghosting, crosstalk, ringing or a multitude of other noise.

5. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your reply.

Seeing that I don't have a huge plasma or high end dvd player (Toshg. 220e), I don't think I would notice the difference a high end cable such as the van dammes.

Would these cables be suitable for component, as they have 75Ohm resistance and 99% OFC shielding?

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...catalogue&category_name=&product_id=AV0461366

OR

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...catalogue&category_name=&product_id=AV0439866

(Seeing that these products are similar, why do you think one is more expensive?)

Thanks.

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah either look fine to me.

have fun

7. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your help Graham, much appreciated :)