1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component cables

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by john_bowler, Jun 26, 2002.

1. john_bowler

john_bowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a marantz dlp VP-12S1s projector and I am told that I should buy a dvd which uses component cables as the quality is far superior - mine is a panasonic dv626d. Is there anyone who can give me advice on what is good out there for about the same price. A shame as the panasonic is as new. :(
    It has scart, composite, and s-video connections but no component connections.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Firstly I would determine what inputs the projector has (S-Video, Component, RGB?)

Secondly RGB will be equal to component (interlaced/non-progressive), so if your player has RGB output (via SCART) you may use that. Use an adapter cable if necessary.

Thirdly, if you want to go progressive scan (non-interlaced) all the above won't matter and you will need to use component connection. If the projector doesn't support it then, well, it won't work. ;)
    (Check first if the DVD player supports it, too!)

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm not convinced I've connected my Sony 10HT upto my DVD player (Tosh SD9000) with both S-Video and component, and in all honesty I can tell naff all difference.

If it was a case of buying a cable to test maybe worth it, but if it means changing a DVD player that otherwise your happy with, them I'm not so sure.

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the cable decent quality when you A/B tested Svideo and Component?

I only use a run from my Pioneer 737 to Scaler of 1 mtre and can tell the difference easily over svideo . Much better colours and fine detail.

As for choice of DVD player, you will be best to try and demo at home, but the Tosh does seem as steal at the mo.

Rgds

Nathan

5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yep they're both fairly decent cables at the moment, Lektropacs proffesional range, I also borrowed a short run to test with the pj (was an expensive monster cable) and still couldn't notice any difference, maybe I'm just blind or the Sony has an excellent s-video input, or the Tosh component output isn't that good.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to agree with slingshot over whether there are any benefits with component over svhs. I've got both component and svhs coming from my tosh with the svhs running through my processor and i can't tell the slighteset difference either.

Jason

7. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I"d recommed vision xpress boys, get yaself a decent set. :D :p ;)

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Slingshot

You are quite correct but our 9000 are the exception rather than the rule. Toshiba 9 series players (and others actually) have a quality of engineering in the SVideo interface that is only bettered by Tag IMHO. Poor old RGB Scart owners.:D

If only all players were made like this, people would be happier with their players and the whole world could standardise on SVideo.