1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bobinski, Mar 23, 2005.

1. bobinski

bobinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi i posted this elsewhere on the forums.....
    Thanks!
    I can see component cables vary dramatically in price leaving me arather confused about what to get to connect my pioneer 575 to the Hitachi.Any recomendations? Will this be good enough?
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/CP001.html
    Should be better than my cheap Scart surely?
    Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    regards
    Bob

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello bobinski

Its wrong to assume that the YUV 'Component' Output (3xRCA) of your DVD player will deliver a better image than the RGB 'Component' Output (SCART) of your DVD player.

I'd advise that you try both a well engineered SCART cable for RGB connectivity and a well engineered 3xRCA to 3xRCA for YUV connectivity and visually test the different signals with a range of your favourite movies - as your PlasmaTV is a Hitachi its an ALIS device and most likely works best with the Interlaced RGB signal delivered via SCART.

I don't have any experience with the cable you've highlighted - we tend to use/supply different brands from TV cables.

Best regards

Joe

3. myszka

myszka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe
    I am genuinely surprised by what you say.I have read so many times here that component is best so.....anyway,i,ll try an rgb scart-any particular recomendations?
    I think i WIL have to use a component lead though.The hitachi only has one scart connection.Currently i run a humax digi box,the 800t.Scart from this to the hitachi uses that connection.So my pioneer 575a will need to be connected by component.Is ther a way around this.I have a pioneer amp,the 502 and this has 4 scart connections.Perhaps i can link the humax and /or the 575a to the screen in some way?
    thanks

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    myszka

Theory and actuality often diverge :) Your DVD player may have a better YUV decoder - the again it may have a better RGB decoder; its best to try both and also don't assume all displays handle YUV better than RGB.

For many the reason YUV is touted as 'the best' is the ability of some players to Output a Progressive YUV signal with the potential that the Deinterlacer in the DVD player is more sophisticated than the Deinterlacer in the Display - again its always worth trying both options if you can.

Supra do Fully Wired, RGB Only and RGB with Stereo Audio SCART cables that we often use and VanDamme do RGB Only which 'look' less sexy but perform very well.

As long as all the units in 'the chain' are RGB enabled you can form an orderly queue - DVD > Humax > TV; put the Humax into Standby when you want to 'view' the DVD player.

Best regards

Joe

5. myszka

myszka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe
    The Hitachi is an lcd,the 5200ld so do your commentss still apply?
    I really appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions
    thanks
    Bob