1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Igwiz, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May sound like a silly question but I am about to take delivery of my first TV with component inputs (tosh 36zp48) and want to make sure I use decent cables to connect the dvd. Am I right in thinking that component cables are simply hi-fi interconnects and so something like the cambride atlantic http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-ATLANTIC2 will do. But won't I need 3 cables?!?! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Ig

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Forgot to say, component Video cables are 75 Ohm rather than Audio cables which are 50 Ohm.

4. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groovy. Thanks. Next question then is why are RGB Only Scarts more expensive than normal scarts and do they make a difference?!

5. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    RGB only scarts, as I'm sure you know, carry picture only. If you are intending to simply connect your DVD player to your TV (only), then an RGB only scart will be no good for you. The reason they are supposed to be "better" is due to them concentrating the signal purely for the picture, and therefore less supposed interference from anything else, audio signal included. Laymans explanation I know, but I think it gives you the gist?

6. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very useful. Thanks!

7. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just hijacking this thread a little... :rolleyes:

I have a QED Sqart AV41 which carries picture signal only. Problem is, i've wall-mounted my new plasma and the cable doesn't reach. :suicide:

My DVD doesn't have component out, so was lOOking at Scart to Component lead: http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV373.html
    as i've read/been told Comp is better. Would there be any improvements with such a cable, or am i best just getting a longer run of Sqart?? (and waiting if i can ever afford a new player with comp out)

:lease: