1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component cables, unable to get working

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bazzah, Mar 4, 2005.

1. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Denon 2805 amp, and a Denon 1910 DVD player. I am trying to connect them together using RGB component cables, but am unable to get a picture at all. I have just bought some new cables, but still no joy - can anyone help!!!!!

Bazzah :D

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    They're not RGB they're Y Pb Cr. Component to amp and then component to TV? Component direct to TV? How are you connecting it all up?

3. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, yes they are Y, PB, CR, connecting the DVD player to the amp. Then the amp is connected to a plasma using S Video. I have gone through all the settings on the Amp, but still can't get a picture.

4. masped

masped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your connection method is the problem - your amp won't down-convert component video to S-video. If you want to watch DVDs using component video, then you either need to connect your DVD directly to your TV using a component cable, or connect DVD to amp and amp to TV, both with component cables. The second method will also let you watch other video sources using component video, because your amp will up-convert other formats into component video. However, if your TV doesn't have component video inputs then I'm afraid you're stuck with S-video. :(

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Even if the amp did up-convert, I don't see the point of doing this. A system is only as good as its weakest link. Whatever you gained by connecting the DVD player to the amp via component, you lost in the s-video link to the TV :confused:

6. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - now im starting to understand - sorry I am a bit of a n00b to all of this.

So as it is, I shouldn't be using the S-Video? Would I be better off running it a different way? I am a little stuck as the TV only has scart and s-video inputs. And the amp only has component, S-video outputs. It's a cheap Techwood 4210. :rolleyes:

7. masped

masped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your options are basically:
    (i) S-video connection from DVD player to amp, and another S-video connection from amp to TV
    (ii) Connect your DVD player to your TV directly with either a Scart or S-video lead

With option (ii) you can still use your amp to process the sound but you lose the single connection into your TV