1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component cables the same as 3 RCA cables ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rh71, Feb 22, 2003.

1. rh71

rh71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone told me I can use 3 RCA (1 video + 2 audio) cables as component video cables. Is this true? I tried and the picture quality of component (progressive scan DVD) looks identical to a picture when playing the same DVD via a single composite cable. I did back-to-back setups and stared at the pictures. I do see small faint interlace lines too. A progressive picture has absolutely no lines right?

Should I buy component cables or do 3 RCA cables work just the same ?

Specs: Sony 57" widescreen HDTV and Sony DVP NS715P DVD player w/ progressive scan.

2. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rh71

Welcome to the forum. Have a look at the following thread from the dvd player forum which may answer your question:

www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=68905

I think your question is a fairly common one and so have a search in the dvd player forum for more info. If you need to ask further questions, I suspect that you may get more responses in that forum than in this one.

If your composite picture is the same as your progressive picture then I would suggest that something is definitely wrong. Progressive scan should be far superior!

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Richard

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use three 75 Ohm coaxial phono to phono cables for the component feed.

hhmpphh...do a straight swop for your 57" HDTV for my 14" mono? :p

4. rh71

rh71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I purchased a 6' Acoustic Research component cable from Best Buy to test the difference. There weren't any that I could see. I made sure my DVD player's settings was set to Component (progressive mode), as well as the TV.

I then flipped the switch on the back on the player to INTERLACE and the picture was the same, except the Progressive LED on the front of the player wasn't lit anymore.

I'm not saying that the picture is of COMPOSITE cable quality. I'm saying the picture is the same, no matter which cables I use and I don't know the difference between the two because I haven't experienced another visual quality on this TV. I think that's the biggest problem here - not knowing whether this is already the best image quality I can get, or not. (In other words, is this already Progressive quality and I'm just wasting time thinking it's not?)

At any rate, I'll try a new post at the other forum too... keep the suggestions coming if you have anymore thoughts. Much appreciated.

5. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rh71

I see you've had no further luck on either forum:( .

On the assumption that your dvd player is a US model (I don't think that model came with progressive here) and having now spotted you're in the US, have you tried posting at www.avsforums.com ?

That forum is US based, a bit busier and there may well be more people with specific experience of your player.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Best of luck.

Richard

6. rh71

rh71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried multiple forums already, including that one. The most info I've gotten was that the Sony TV also has a Digital Reality Creation (DRC) mode that does its best to create a good picture. As a result, I see little difference when using component/progressive vs. composite/interlace. There is no better explanation available that I could find. Thanks again anyway!

7. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have had the same experience (disapointment}with the iscan ultra my pioneer pdp 503 mxe shows no improvement in picture quality when used in either dvd reg.1 or 2 nor even on sky sat. A lot of money for very little