1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component cables - dvd to plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by libby71, Oct 18, 2005.

1. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,I have just bought some Qed component cables.I have connected them from my dvd recorder(panasonic) to my plasma(Panny - TH-37PE50).What i was wondering was,Do i still need the the scart that was originally running from the dvd to sky box? When i take the scart out of the back of the dvd the picture goes off from the dvd that was playing,even though the component cables are in.My set-up is as follows.Ixos scart from plasma to sky box,scart lead from sky box to dvd recorder,component cables from dvd to plasma(I have set Progressive on),Have i done anything wrong?.Many Thanks, Libby

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi Libby, you need the sky to dvd scart for recording but you don't the sky scart to plasma now as you can view sky via the component feed now (just need to leave teh dvd on). Connect the TV scart from sky to dvd not the vcr one as this does not carry RGB.

3. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have connected the scart from sky (tv out) to the dvd recorder (av1)and connected the component leads from the dvd to the plasma,but now i cannot get sky on my plasma,am i doing something wrong?

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    have you selected the right input for sky in the dvd setup menu? or it may be a case of just scrolling through inputs on the dvd remote.....not with mine to check at the mo

5. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,i cannot get the menu from the dvd player,all i am recieving is the analogue channels ,when i press tv/av it displays nothing on the screen.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    is the dvd set to output component (you may need to connect by scart to see the dvd menu to do this and then reconnect the component) also the panel should be set to component on that input.

7. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,yes the dvd has been set to video comonent(av1) with progressive on.It worked again when i put the scart into the plasma,but stopped working when i took it out again.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I'll have to check my settings this evening as mine is hooked up as above.....if nobody else comes along in the meantime.......have you tried the scart from sky going into av2 on the dvd and selecting input av2 with the dvd remote?

9. westwing2505

westwing2505

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to select your AV1 output as component. By default the component is switched off.

Reconnect your scart in av1 to your plasma. don't connect the sky box. go through your tv inputs until you see the blue dvd ram logo.

press functions - move down to others - press enter - go to setup - press enter.

Move down to connections - press the left arrow key. Where is says AV1/AV2, select AV1 and make it video. Make AV2 RGB/Video. Now go out to where it says progressive scan, and turn that on.

Now your component should be working. take out the scart connection AV1. Now component takes over the AV1 fuction. connect sky to AV2 and make sure it outputs an RGB signal (via the TV scart).

Hope that helps.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    well done westwing, i couldn't recall what the dvd setup menu options were

11. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    You may need to put your tv onto component input - press the tv/av button and then press the blue button.

12. paulmcg

paulmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've got a similair setup. TH37PE30, and Panny HDD recoder. My connections are: scart to AV2 on the Viera, which carriers scart in both directions (qlink) then component is on AV4C.

I think you may have to do two things :
    1. Make sure in the output on the DVD is set to component (with S-video or composite if I remember), I think you have already done this.
    2. Cycle to AV4C which should bring you onto component. Leave the scart in place for the moment, as this lets you quickly sort any issues still remaining - cycle the TV AV input using the blue button and it should say AV4C in the top left hand corner.

It may be different in PE50, but I would be surprised if it was by a lot.

13. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,Thanks for your replys unfortunatly i still cannot get the sky/dvd channel just the analogue,i have tried everything you say.I have got component from the dvd recorder to the plasma,a scart from the sky(tv scart) to the dvd recorder(av2).i have gone into the dvd menu and put video component and progressive on and their is still no change,im sorry about this.

14. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi quick update i have done what chrisw said and pressed blue and it has come on,but with no sound

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    do you just use the tv speakers as opposed to an amp? if so you need to run sound from dvd to the screen....scart carried it previously but component is video only (you need red/white rca stereo cables)

16. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally got there.Thankyou so much to everyone for your advice,you have helped me so much,Thankyou ,Libby.