1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component cable query???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zorro, Jul 15, 2003.

1. zorro

zorro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Couldn't get the links to work. If the one from maplins is the one I think it is, 4 phono to 4 phono then its the one I just got for my new AE100. I thinks its ment for audio rather than video, hence the red/white x2. In my local Maplins I got 10 meters for 15 squid, the 5 meter was a tenner.

I just run a sharp knife along side onr of the leads to make it 3 to 3. Does the job. If you have any more questions just ask.

Paul H

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not to sure what these cables are BUT COMPONENT VIDEO CABLES ARE DIFFERENT TO AUDIO CABLES.

They may look the same, but audio cables are rated to 50ohms and video to 75 ohms.

Make sure it says component on the packet.

Azzo.

4. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is true azzo, but as a intrim solution to seen how good component is compared to other inputs it wouldn't hurt. I use Ixos componet leads to connect my DVD to my Tosh TV and they were 50 squid for 3 meters. I chose the Maplins lead because it is a good quality cable with gold plated connectors and was just 15 squid for 10 meters. And as I siad above it does the job.

Paul

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Component video cables are simply a bundle of 3x 75ohm video cables (you could use antenna cable with phono plugs soldered on at either end if necessary).

I can't access the link either but the 4 way cable is probably one for rgb where you need an 'extra' cable for the sync signal which is usually derived from the composite video signal. The same cable might be sold for component use.... you wouldn't use the 4th connector or you could run a composite signal along it.

A cable normally used to carry audio will work if that's all you have but you should really use a proper 75ohm cable to ensure best picture performance from your kit.

Brian