Component cable length???

C

Claus

Hi!

I've been using a 3 meter long component Monster Cable but I'm now moving my setup and will have to buy a 15 meter long component cable. Will there be a big difference on the picture quality?

Thanks,

Claus

Possibly. I have a 12m run and the first variety supplied was unwatchable. Have now use a different brand (sorry, can't remember which) and it is fine. When I was asking around, most folks suggested the limit to be between 15m and 30m.
My advice is that the quality has to be better to support longer runs. Ask your local dealer and see what they have to offer. When you buy, make sure that your dealer will support you if it is not working to your satisfaction.

Coaxial cable can be run for 250M before any noticeable degredation in the picture becomes apparant. In the short distances used in the home the thing to look out for is that the cable is not run near any other mains cables which can induce AC on the coax.

I agree about the co-ax length. I suspect that co-ax is slightly different compared to component as it's an Rf signal. I run a 60m co-ax from the 2nd o/p of the Skybox to another room. No issues.

The first 12m run of component cables I had were talking to each other !! The result was a triple image on the plazzie. Horrible.

Therefore, it may not be just mains cross-talk that you have to be mindful of.

Does anyone have any brands/links of component cables that are good for a 12m run??

I'll see if I can tell what mine are which are 12m with no issues.

Loony

We use and supply the VanDamme OFC range as our main stay cables and have had very few if any problems with YUV cables sets at up to 15m in Home Cinema systems - we do go longer on commercial installs but normally with the aid of a signal amplifier.

The YUV cables are normally supplied as three individual 75 ohm cables or as a 4 or 5 core multicore - with your choice of RCA or BNC connecters as required.

The VanDamme range offers excellent value for money - no fancy packaging just a simple Jiffy bag though all cables are hand made to order and to very high standards; we can even specify the lengths of the tails on the multicore if you have a special requirement.

We also use and supply Supra and just recently added in the BetterCables range from the USA - quiet a bit more expensive than the VanDamme so not for everyone.

The Supra AV3 is a three core multicore YUV cable that's about 50% more expensive than the VanDamme for a 1.0m cable but gets quite a bit more expensive once you get up to 15m as the cost per additional metre of cables is far higher.

The BetterCables Silver Serpent Reference multicore YUV cable is a massive cable - of the garden hose variety and available in pre made lengths up to 31m (though I've never tested it over that length).

Trust this helps.

Best regards

Joe

Hi!

Just bought a Monster component cable. 15 meters and no loss in picture quality!
I used a Monster 3 meter before i switched.

Claus

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom