Component Cable for Xbox?

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I know that this post should go in the video games section, but I doubt if many people in that forum use Component.

I have never been interested in putting my video games on a big screen.. But having just bought a Plamsa, but as the Xbox support Progressive Scan, as does the Plasma, it would be stupid not to try it out

Is there anywhere that sells a 'cheap' component cable? I don't want to spend too much, as its only going to be for occasional use.

I have done a search and found that Comet to a "SAITEK COMPONENT SCART" for £9.99.. But I want it presented on Phonos instead of SCART.. I know it would be easy to convert the cable, but it would be nice to find the proper thing.

Any info on this would be appreciated

Jon

I got the official Hi-Def (component + digital out) pack when I was in the US earlier this year. Check www.tronixweb.com as I think they sell the same kit.

Works like a charm, great picture with games.

Jon,

I think you will find the "SAITEK COMPONENT SCART" is not component, only scart or composite video phono.

Have you got a unmodded UK PAL Xbox? The reason I ask is I was under the impression that Progressive scan was not enabled on uk boxes.

You can apparently use the High Definition AV Pack available from a few places I have found but from what I have read it will not do any prog scan or hi-res stuff on a uk box:
http://www.yorvik-consoles.freeserve.co.uk/xbox/main.html
http://www.mx2.org/acatalog/MX2_org_Xbox_Hardware_210.html
http://www.tqgames.co.uk/hardware.shtm
(not ordered from any of these so can't say how good they are).

Also when I was last in my local 'Game' store, I am sure they had a proper (phono) component cable set for xbox. I can't find anything on their web site but may be worth checking if you have a store near you.

My Xbox is as mod'd as it can be.

Its got an Extender chip which can be switched on/off, but is running the EvolutionX BIOS from the 'onboard' BIOS.

It also got an 80gig hard-drive installed, which means I can run all my games straight from the HD.

I am not use whether the modified BIOSs that I am running will allow Progressive Scan, but they enable everything else, so I imagine so.

Don't know about DVD playback, but I am sure that Progressive is an option games.

Jon

As per Codlords post you can pick up the 'Gamester' High Def pack from Game for around £25-£30 (from memory) - it maybe gives you more than you require though.

It has a breakout box and then:
1 x set of three RCA to RCA for Component video
1 x S-Video cable
1 x TOSS link digital audio cable
1 x set of two RCA to RCA for analogue audio.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks for the info.. I will pop into town later and see if my local 'game' has one.. However, I have a feeling that I am going to get a blank look and an attempt to sell me a normal AV cable, as "its got 3 phonos, so it must be the same"

I found one on-line in the end for £8.99, but they charge handling, VAT and shipping and the cost soon mounts up.

which plasma did you get in the end>

Jon: just been into Game in Edinburgh for an Advanced SCART (19.99 if anyone needs to know) and they had the High Def pack for 24.99.

Thanks for that.. I poped into Game in Newport and predictably I got a blank look when I asked for 'component'.

I explained what I was looking for and they showed me the normal AV cable.. After all, it had Phonos on it, so it must be the same.

Fortunatly, I spotted the 'High Def' pack (£24.99) on the rack and showed him the error of his ways.

But, for £24.99, I decided to buy the one 'on-line' for a total of £12.99 (including shipping and handling).

Many thanks for your help

Jon

Originally posted by Jon Weaver
I decided to buy the one 'on-line' for a total of £12.99 (including shipping and handling).
Jon

where did you order it from? i was going to get the official one from dvdboxoffice for £17.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom