1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component cable dilema!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gorwig, Mar 6, 2005.

1. gorwig

gorwig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

Just bought a sp5700 from that nice seanm man and want to run roughly 15 meters of component cable for it. I know it`s quite a long run but there`s no way I`m going to spend silly money on retail cables so I was wondering whether anyone knows something about the coaxial stuff that broadcasters use for video. It`s called PSF1/2, its cable designed for the BBC and stocked by Canford Audio, not that I intend paying for it though, I work for Auntie (but I am not really a techie) so would be able to get my hands on miles of the stuff!! Would it be as good or dare I say better than high end component cables??
    Canfor Audio

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, psf1/2 with suitable connectors will be fine. As long as your equipment has the correct source and termination impedance (75 ohm) you would be able to use a lot more than 15M.

The quality will be at least as good as boutique cables. The BBC use it for very long runs with no problems.

Bill

3. gorwig

gorwig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Bill, it`s down to the stores for me tommorrow for some pilfering!!!!!

4. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Gorwig,
    Spent this evening packing it all away. Got the box from the loft, all the manuals, cable cover mounting plate are untouched. Thought I had a spare X-Box component cable, but I can't find it anywhere. I have put a 10Mtr Component Cable in the box for you though.

Enjoy!

5. phil3374

phil3374
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I was gonna point you in the direction of the 15m cable I bought for around 15 quid, very substantial cable for the price, got it from tvcables.co.uk but their site seems to not be there at the moment...PJ

7. gorwig

gorwig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am aware of lots of reasonably priced cables around the 10 - 20 meter lengths, my reservations of using affordable cables over these lengths are signal degredation and the increased possibility of interferance. The BBC uses the psf1/2 over huge distances up to 200m.

P.S. seanm, thanks for braving the cobwebs in your attic!!