Component cable bust ??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by snow-munki, Jan 3, 2007.

1. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

just bought an unofficial component cable from Hong Kong so only cost me like £4.

However, when i plug it in and switch to 480p hdtv, the picture seems to be stupidly bright, any ideas ??

My 360 seems fine through component so it's not my TV. Can't seen to fine any settings on the Wii, reckon it is just a duff cable ??

Thanks

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    The cable will not give you really bright colours, that is down to settings.

3. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    oh well suppose it is a bust cable then :(

4. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    I agree with the previous response you had...don't see how it can be a faulty cable...more likely to do with the TV and settings.

This is not a cable with any fancy devices in it. A faulty cable would show up as a black screen (Due to the green/sync cable being broken) or a missing colour. Even wrong impedence cables would cause softness, changes in luminance but not at the levels you are talking about..and then it would apply to every single cable from that factory.

Jonathan

5. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    snow-munki, i know exactly what you mean, plugged my cable in and it has great colours at 576i , but hit the 480p and everything is bright and washed out.

tried lowering contast and brightness but still no joy.

I have a Loewe Xelos a32 and would appreciate any answers anyone may have.

6. dan653

dan653

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    unless only two of the leads were working correctly the green and another this would give a washed out or tinted looking picture

crack/cut the cable's casing and plugs open at each end and look for any bad solders or connections, there's really nothing much to the cable, its nothing to be scared of* and its only £4

*wont be held responsible for anyones own stupidity just take any normal/sensible precautions like not working on it when it's plugged in and switched on or adding water

7. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks.

well plugged directly to the TV andas said before the 360 is fine so shouldbn't be colour / settings of my TV right ?

i also unplugged the red / green / blue one at a time and each one 'degrades' the picture so definately works.

Also able to select 420p so the Wii sees it as a HD cable.

8. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    here, first, here is composite:

[​IMG]

and then component:

[​IMG]

can you see how all the definition in the individual channel frames has gone in the second one? I didn't change screen settings for the tv either.

From another forum.....

He's using the official one aswell, are out Wii's bust in that case ??!?!?:(

9. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well just got home and took a few pictures. Tried changing the TV settings but nothing helped :

Component:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Composite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you can see it's SOO bright but also lacks detail, can see the ground at all pretty much in the plaza, no matter how much i tweak my TV. Any ideas ?!?!?

10. david creager

david creager
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stupid suggestion I guess.....but can your TV accept progressive scan? would an interlaced/progressive mismatch cause symptoms like this?

11. dan653

dan653

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    could still be a bad solder or short in the cable, using a multi meter check continuity [whilst unplugged] between the centre pin and outer ring of each plug [there should NOT be any]

also test that there IS continuity between the correct pins on the nintendo av plug and the corresponding plugs, google for a pinout diagram; try 'wii diy component cable'

12. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well that sucks !!

Just bought an official component cable and exactly same problem !!!

Suppose it is either the Wii or TV, both which is a PITA !!

13. Kirby

Kirby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Some if not most HTTVs do tend to crush whites on standard definition, its odd that this is happening more with progresive than interlaced though :confused: . The component cables do provide a brighter picture so I guess the only thing left for you to try is tinkering about with the contrast and don't forget to change the brightness about aswell, when calibrating black and white levels both those settings have a habit of knocking each other off a bit.

14. dan653

dan653

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    shame sounds like the tv then, dont most tvs save separate colour/contrast settings for each input?

havent let anyone mess with the manufacturer's service menus have you??

15. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    well just tested it on my sister's LCD and works fine

must mean my LCD doesn't work !!! Any ideas ??? Contact LG or something ?

Got the 37'' LC2D

16. dan653

dan653

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    i'd personnally contact lg if under warranty, could try a reset if possible in the standard menus (not a service reset try to get lg to do that or upgrade firmware), then again it couble the hardware at fault (lcd's component board)

i'd suggest in the meantime posting over in the lcd forums and maybe do a search and reading up on your lcd service menus (ONLY reading mind you, afaik its possible to damage your panel if your not careful)

17. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Hi all, I dont have an LG set but I am having exactly the same probs that you are all speaking about! I have ruled out the Wii and the cable as I connected my SKYHD via a spare component cable (usually HDMI) and the whites are totally blown out of proportion, and lowering the brightness, contrast...dynamic settings etc still does not help.
    Also...changing from 480p, to 576i or 480i still shows really white! I just dont understand. My set is Grundig and I have emailed them about this matter and they havent even cared to get intouch with me and they probably wont (this is not the first time I have had to email Grundig, and they never got intouch with my last 6 emails) So I am at a loss what to do. I bought my set from QVC about 4 months ago so it is still under warranty, but I feel that it wont go away with a replacement set...I really do think it has to to a service menu job from the TV manufacturer. I have the offical RGB scart so I am using that at the moment which is pretty good, and I am under no illusion that the component will be lots better but I am now paranoid about the component input.
    I also find it odd that a couple of you guys on here are getting the pic to be ok with not selecting progressive as I get overblown whites on all settings via component.
    Keep each other updated...get intouch with manufacturer via phone is my recommendation...that is just not acceptable. Good luck everyone! :)

18. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Reply to my own post: I kept saying "everyone" in my reply...I know it's just one person! Duh!

19. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

hmm we do indeed have the ame problem but two totally different LCD' which i VERY strange.

However not many people really are getting the problem, earched load of other forum lat night and mut have found like 10 people worldwide !!!

No idea what i going on to be honet and pretty annoyied about it :(

20. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Yeah me too!
    Like I said though, I honestly dont think it's a huge fault and I really do think it can be fixed with maybe going into the service menu and adjusting lumince etc....but an engineer to do it. If you are still under 1 yr warranty then just leave it to them. I will tell you one thing though...dont let them just fob you off, it is NOT acceptable!
    It is odd that you are ok with the XBOX 360 through component, as like I have said, I am having problems with EVERYTHING that I put through component incl. SKYHD and my DVD player (although fortunately with my DVD player I have picture settings, which if adjusted it does help, but still not great)
    Get intouch with LG Monday, and tell me how you get on...Grundig are completely ignoring my emails, so looks like I will just have to call them on the phone!

21. battle is mine

battle is mine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got the nintendo componant cable and at first the screen was stupidly bright on my hyundai imagequest, it was fixed by changing the settings on the componant input. I set everything to zero and pushed them all up until it looks spot on. Is it not a case of trying that or have you already done this? Every input has it's own settings and are usually set to that awful dynamic cr*p for instore display, if you haven't used the input before it needs setting up?

22. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485

Thans for the input but unfortunately what you were experiencing and what we are experiencing is completely different. I could turn the contrast and brightness both down to 0 but I could still see everything that is white on screen showing through, very hard to explain...kind of like closing blinds in your house on a very sunny day the, the sun still overpowers through! It is doing my head in!

23. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    well that's rubbish.

called LG and basically had no clue. Suggested i take my wii to local currys or somewhere and testing it there !!

24. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I am afraid I would never buy an LG, they look pretty good in the shops but the reliability and the customer service is pants. How old is the set?

25. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    umm 4 months or so. Pretty new still. Got it from John Lewis with 5 year warrenty.

Think i might give up aty this point and get RGB scart instead :(

26. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ok played red steeel very quickly last night and i 'think' in the acutal game everything is ok ??

Will do more through test tonight if i have time. So might just be the menu screens which is fubar'ed. If that is the case i'll live with that.

27. Magsy

Magsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Same here, offical cable and LG37 LCD. Bright as hell, moreso than yours. Couldn't adjust it out but it is fine with composite.

Bit disapointed, hopefully fixable. I can get into the service menu if I remember how!:rolleyes:

28. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Magsy, get a fix for this ?

can get into service menu by pressing and holding down te menu button of both the remote and LCD.

Not sure what to do from there though :(

29. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    My official component cable arrived yesterday. I've got it connected to my Samsung LCD and I'm experiencing exactly the same issue!

The in-game footage seems fine but its all those soft-grey details on the menus just don't seem to appear (such as the floor detail on the mii channel). Although the floor detail appears momentarily during the fade in / out when first entering / exiting the mii channel. I've tweaked about with the contrast brightness, etc. of my telly but no luck. Since its exactly as your shots of your LG look I'd suspect its not a TV issue.

Like yourself, in-game footage looks very nice, huge improvement!!!

30. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks, first time i've heard it effecting Samsung LCD's :(

any chance you calling Samsung about it, guess the more it gets around the more likely it will get sorted.