1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component cable advice needed

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by syntax error, Jun 5, 2005.

1. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to get the best set up at a reasonable price.

I have the Hitachi PD7200 Plasma.

To this I have connected my two x box via the high def pack and my Toshiba Sd - 530E DVD player (dont have cables for this yet, hence this post)

All of this goes to my plasma via the joytech AV centre http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=ELEC&title=171036

However as this does not support component switching I have bought these to enable me to hook it up
    http://www.keene.co.uk/system/index.html

Then I have these cables running from the AV centre to the Plasma (again using the convertors from Keene) http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-DIG-PREM-1M

Those last cables were sold to me with the DVD player, they seemed pretty pricey, but the guy in store gave me three for £50, not the £90 stated, so it seemed ok.

So questions is, how much should I spend on the DVD player component? Im guessing with a chaining effect as I have above your pic is only as good as your weakest link?

Im wondering if these connectors from Keene will be reducing my picture at all? I must admit I see no dropo in quality on my x box pic, but have yet to try the DVD.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hopefully it made sense.

Thanks.

2. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone any ideas on this?

I am looking to buy my cable soon, so the sooner the better.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Syntax error

Linking to Keene never seems to land the next person along on the page you intended :)

I have to say from what I can gather your doing you do seem to be spending a lot of money to trash the image quality you can achieve from your X-Box HiDef packs.

If I understand correctly you have:

X-Box 01 - HiDef - YUV Out
    X-Box 02 - HiDef - YUV Out
    DVD - YUV Out

And your now spending lots of cash on YUV to RGB converters so you can switch everything through a low cost SCART switcher - if you don't mind me saying so that's madness.

A very high quality YUV switch will cost £240.00* and a decent set of YUV cables for your DVD player will cost sub £30.00.

I find it hard to understand how you cant 'see' a drop in quality between connecting the HiDef YUV Out from your X-Box direct to the YUV Inputs on your TV (I'm assuming it has them) and running Standard Def YUV Out from the X-Box via a YUV2RGB converter plus a SCART switcher.

Possibly I've misunderstood your post!

Best regards

Joe

*PS Others may suggest lower cost YUV switchers.

4. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen I actually got a reply on this, yay!

Anyway, Joe. I am not converting to scart, its these I am using http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?KLD73

Hope that link works this time, if not it is a s video to 2 x phono socket cable. I use this to attach to my component cable via a mixture of the s video and composite sockets at the back of my AV centre.

I really cant see any visual degradation if the picture, although Im sure there must be some.

I just need to know how much I should be looking on spending on some component cables for the DVD player, baring in mind the above set up.

Hope that helps.