1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component board v VGA for PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by vblue, Oct 20, 2004.

1. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have my Sky+ box connected via JS RGB-VGA converter at moment. I'm now thinking of buying a progressive scan DVDR, and the question on how best to connect it has arisen, do I:

1 - buy a new VGA board and connect the DVDR using a component 3 RCA to 15 pin d-sub cable

2 - buy a component board for the PW6

3 - use a Master Scart converter (which I already have) to link in the DVDR to the RGB-VGA converter, although assume this loses the progressive qualities?

Cheers

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You first thing to think about is how the Sky box is going to send RGB to the recorder *and* the display... You will need a 1:2 scart DA to send RGB+Audio to two different sources.

Prog scan or no it's going to be better to send DVD using an independant input on the plasma so that it can be correctly calibrated to the source. (if both DVD and Sky were on the VGA then the settings for Sky would not be right for DVD and vice versa).

A second VGA board is cheaper than component board and offers the added bonus of being configurable for RGB video again if you change setup later.

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry for slightly hi-jacking this ... but why? It's my understanding (which is limited, I'll grant you :) ) that you can't watch Sky while recording another sky channel onto a DVDR - so why not just loop the Sky signal through the DVDR?

Although if you planned on using RGB scart you'd need another RGB to VGA convertor if you wanted to use the two VGA inputs. You've got future compatability already with one VGA input - you could just put a multi-scart adapter in before the JS Tech convertor and you can put multiple scart inputs into your existing VGA connection.

Or have I got that totally wrong? :blush:

ZedZed

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Splitting the Sky signal enables you to run two inputs on the plasma and hence two sets of colour/contrast/brightness, screen position and size etc. There is also the question of recording other sources into the DVDr (camcorder, games console, DVD) when wanting to watch Sky TV.

Second point is a simple choice. Dedicated YUV input, or YUV and RGB input for less money??? In which case why shell out more for the YUV board!!!

(With 2 VGA boards you have RGB+RGB, RGB+YUV, YUV+YUV. With just one VGA and one YUV you have RGB+YUV or YUV+YUV. Also remember that RGB means PC too)

5. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam,

Can I not just connect the scart from my Sky+ box that goes into my current DVD/VCR combi into the new DVDR box? Leaving the other scart out from the SKy+ into the RGB-VGA converter. Then connect the DVDR into the plasma either through component or VGA.

Cheers

6. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my new kit delivered yesterday :D (PW7 with a component board, DVDR, JS RGB -> VGA) and I have it connected like you say.

So DVD is connected to PW7 via component board.

Sky+ is going (via the TV Out Scart plug) into RGB -> VGA Converter -> PW7
    Sky + also going (via the Video Scart Plug) into DVDR -> PW7

So effectively I can play Sky+ either through the VGA connection or through the DVDR (although the picture is much better through the VGA connection).

As yet I haven't tried recording on the DVDR but don't see why you can't use this setup?

Dave.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VCR scart on Sky+ is not RGB try setting to S-video for the DVD-r (davej50)
    depends on the DVD-r as well mind not all will take RGB input and not all (most will) Output RGB.........

8. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HornyDragon, will try that tonight, I was rushing a bit to get it all connected so that I could see the screen in action - the connection between Sky+ and the DVDR was just something I did until I sat down and worked it all out properly. The DVD is only a Panny E55 so not sure what it's capable of connection-wise but I'll probably have a look through the manual tonight...

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It will certainly work that way vblue, but as mentioned earlier you will be sharing settings for both sources and there may be implications when it comes to watching Sky TV but also using the DVDr to record from other sources.

davej50 - as the horny feller says, you won't be feeding the DVDr the best signal possible (you'll actually be pretty much the worst signal possible!!). However Sky+ boxes do have the ability send a different signal out of the VCR scart to what is going out the TV scart IIRC.... (don't have Sky+ so don't know for sure!) so there may be some functionality advantage, but at a big sacrifice to pictrure quality.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    S-video for sky i have always found to be pretty good, there was a time before JS tech boxes and when plasmas didnt have Scarts...... Sold a hell of a lot of Sky+ on the S-video outputs.... It was that or composite unless you spent alot of money!!!!

11. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a 1:2 scart DA ?

:rolleyes:

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1 input 2 output scart distribution amplifier ( a rare beast for a good one)

13. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, I'll look at it tonight. I only wanted the DVDr so that I could clear the Sky+ planner from all the cr@p the missus wants to keep so picture quality in this instance isn't the most important thing, but I may as well get it set up as good as possible.

14. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this isn't exactly on-topic but I was playing around with the settings on the DVDr last night and have found that when turning on the DVDr without a disc in it, it is able to show Sky+ (being fed into the dvdr) on the AV2 channel on the screen. However, if I then play a DVD and stop it, the Sky+ picture doesn't come back but the sound does!?!

The only way I can then see Sky+ is by switching off the DVDr and watching it directly through the Sky+ box. I've looked thru the manual, pressed every button but still can't get it to display.

Does that make sense?

And to top it off, since last night the lip sync has been terrible on BBC and ITV channels....but I won't go into that on here.... :(

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Is the lip synch worse through the DVDr rather than direct to the panel?? If so this may be a result of the prog scan conversion going on in the DVDr... (or it could just be Sky TV being a pain in the backside!)

16. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the lip synch is just as bad running straight from Sky+ through the RGB-> VGA converter -> PW7. I didn't notice it the night before last when I got the stuff, but last night and this morning it was very noticeable. Hope it isn't like it all the time!