1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component av amp or JSvga box for PW6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stewwy, Oct 31, 2004.

1. stewwy

stewwy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just ordered a pw6 from av-sales with the component/svhs/composite board, and js scart to vga box.

At the moment I have

DVD (prog scan component out, 5.1 discrete out, optical out)
    Sky+ (scart out, optical out)
    5.1 speakers but no amp (amp blew up few weeks ago)

Originally I thought

Video

DVD===component===Plasma
    Sky+==scart==jsvgabox===vga===plasma

Audio

Optical x2 == amp== speakers

But Ive just seen a Yamaha 630 av amp (at a good price)which has 2x component video in( YUV ) and 3x svideo in and component and Svideo out ....

My question,

As I've got to get an amp anyway would I be better using this amp and its video connections (could it solve any lip sync probs?) should I change the jsbox to a YUV out one, (or use a scart to svideo lead for the SKY+ and save the money on the js box) then I'd only have 3 component out leads to the screen instead of 3 + a VGA lead.
    Would I lose any picture quality over my original set up Idea?

OR

Would it be better to get a cheaper model av amp and ignore the video side of it, as I was going to do originally

Only got til monday to make my mind up so any advice is apreciated! :lease:

2. stewwy

stewwy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :bump:

really need some help 4 a decision guys

Stewwy

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I would have got a YUV to VGA cable (about £6 from ebay) as the VGA socket accepts componant in
    and a SCART terminal board for the PW6 for all other inputs

thats the best way to do it

4. PeterJay

PeterJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the advice of the forum and went for the JS RGB to component box as I was told this was the best way to get the output from SKY+ to the screen.

However in the few days I have had the screen (A PW6, very happy with it) I find that I am getting an equally good picture from S-Video plugged into my Sony 750 (the model up from the one you mention and costing around £370 now) then connecting the amp to the screen using component outputs (i.e. using the amp to convert) than I get from the JS box, at least to my eyes.

I have to admit I dont fully understand how they can be so similar as I would have expected SOME difference in colour or maybe just brightness, but because of this I have tested and verified I am not jumping to the wrong conclusion in every way I can (e.g. disconnecting the Sky SCART from the JS box causes the picture to be lost etc. and I am told the JS box only does RGB, so presumably I am not feeding an S Video image to it through the SCART instead of RGB.)

As switching with the amp also solves the problem of connecting the sound digitally from both SKY and DVD at once (the system proposed routed the (non-component output) DVD player via SCART through the SKY box, and would not have allowed a digital sound route from both sources) so its an ideal solution for me.

I would be curious to know if others are getting similar results or I am missing something? I know the amp is relatively new and represents s-video/ component upconversion at a new price level so this may possibly supercede some of the forum advice, I also know I am new to plasma and will doubtless start seeing it differently when I am more accustomed to it, however I do know what my eyes are telling me and in the past I could easily tell the difference when switching from RF to composite to RGB inputs on my old TV for example.

I havent tried Svideo from the sky box direct into the Svideo input on the plasma card, must try out of curiosity sometime. I assume it wont be nearly as good as that from the amp or there wouldnt be any point in the JS box.

opinions invited.

Peter

5. PeterJay

PeterJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI PJclark

the concensus on the forum did seem to be that the SCART board on the PW6 wasnt very good, thats why I went for the JS box

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    there is very little difference between SCART and JS box, I can see it when I
    view both pictures side by side in 2 picture mode, but without having them
    both there to compare, would not notice the difference. Yes the Js box is better
    but only £10 better IMHO (nowhere near £125 better)
    Now knowing how small the diff is, I wouldn't buy a JS box as well as a SCART terminal board.

Also as you say you can't spot the difference, between a s-video signal & an RGB signal (a PQ change so vast as for me to spot it instantly with no reference) the JS box will be a complete waste of money for you.

7. PeterJay

PeterJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, but the PQ difference I see between s-video upconverted and the SCART box (or lack of it) definitely isnt "vast" by any stretch of the imagination, so I am still left unsure whether its just the amp doing an equally good job as the JS box, or the wiring isnt doing what I think it is.

Think I'll try some more tests when I get back (such as removing the S-video connection from Sky to the amp and verifying that the JS box still gives a picture.

Peter