1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component any good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Welshman, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Welshman

Welshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im aware AV experts rate the component connection highly. Is my understanding correct though, I have a PW6 and there would only be a noticable difference to RGB if my DVD player can output Progressive scan and PAL PS at that.

Would this be the optimum picture from the dvd to PW6 or does a component/RGB to VGA type lead produce a better picture?

Any help to clear this up would be greatly appreciated!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Welshamn

01. Not all bits of kit are built to the same specifications or quality - so everything below is a generalisation.

02. Component Video - RGB and YUV are both Component signals.

In general RGB in the UK is an Interlaced (non progressive) signal output via a SCART socket.

In general YUV (often labelled Component by kit manufacturers) is Interlaced or Progressive output via 3 RCA sockets.

03. RGB vs. YUV - not much in it all things being equal though as you say YUV has the advantage that in mid to high end kit the manufacturer may include a decent quality Deinterlacer to enable NTSC and or PAL Progressive via YUV. (As I said this is a generalisation and there are one or two bits of kit that can output Progressive RGB).

04. Best Source - your Display has its own Deinterlacer built in - which works on all incoming signal types so the Optimum source for you is one that has a Video Processor that outperforms the Video processor already available within your Display.

What is it your trying to achieve over your current set up - and what is your current set up?

Best regards

Joe

3. Welshman

Welshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Joe

At the moment I have everything on scarts via a Vivanco switch box. My aim is to make the most of the PW6 screen from my dvd (pan SHT600) Yamada 6600 Divx player and my telewest cable box. I hear that Pal prog scan produces a far better DVD PQ on the screen, so im considering buying another DVD with pal prog. Do you know of a machine that outputs pal prog via RGB scart?

I have read some threads about people using the VGA port on the Pan PW6, is this an alternative to using Yuv connections?

4. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there...

Im currently using a JS RGB -> VGA converter for my SKY+ signal (I just converted from the plain old RGB/BNC connectors on my panny5). I can honestly say that the picture looks sharper, clearer and the colours seem better...

During the same conversion, I changed my DVD player from RGB connection to progressive component (PAL and NTSC) using one of Mark Grants FAT cables :D The quality difference there is a big one... the picture is much less 'flickery', much smoother during panning and the images just seem 'cleaner'.

The other advantage of the above setup is that I don't now have an RGB SCART daisy chain (which won't help the picture much) to the screen as they both have their own connections.

My suggestion would be to buy a JS converter to make use of the VGA input for your Telewest connection and buy a component cable to allow you to use component prog scan to the screen. Im no expert and I can clearly see a difference in the picture quality.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Steve

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would rate the quality as follows, best on top:

DVI/HDMI (progressive)
    VGA / RGBHV (progressive)
    YUV (progressive)
    RGB or YUV (interlaced)
    S-Video (interlaced)
    Composite (interlaced)

AFAIK there is no DVD player that outputs PPS via RGB Scart, it's only available via YUV, VGA or DVI/HDMI.

6. Welshman

Welshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

So what i understand now is that buying a Yuv to VGA lead for my DVD will save me having to fit a component terminal board, and/or a scart(?) to Vga for my telewest Cable box will give me a better picture than just RGB sacrt to scart?