1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component and PLV30

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Malone, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi, Im hoping somebody may be able to help on this one.

Basically, I will be using a Yamaha amp as the hub of my system and am connecting various items including a PS2,Sky Digibox,Sony DVP-CX850D and the PLV-30.
    The Digibox is RGB I am using RGB on the DVD and RGB for the PS2, obviously the amp doesn't have scart connections so can I carry the RGB signal from the scart connections on the DVD and Sky to the amp via component leads and the signal from the PS2 in a similar fashion then from the amp to the PLV30, again via component leads.(although the PS2 may have to be SVideo)I'm loathe to carry composite from Sky because of its poorer picture production.

I hope this makes sense and would be grateful of any ideas..

Matt..........

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Matt,
    The Component input on the PLV30 will not accept RGB. They are two different signal types and are not compatible.

According to the manual, the PLV30 will accept RGB Video (15.6 - 15.7kHz) via the 15pin D connector.

With so many RGB signals you may find it difficult to switch between RGB sources.

One answer is to use the loop through function of dual scart equipped items like DVD players, but this excludes your AV amp as it probably doesn't have Scart sockets. An alternative is to use S-Video. You'll have this on your DVD player and you can buy an RGB to S converter for the Sky box. I'm not a big games fan, but I believe you can buy an S adapter for the PS2 for about £10 from HMV.

Routing most items S via the amp will also allow simultaneous switching of picture and sound.

Hope this helps.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks for the info Chris,at least I can stop faffing trying to find a RGB soution and press on with the SVideo, I wasn't aware there was a RGB to SVideo converter so that in a nutshell settles it, SVideo it is.

Cheers

Matt................

4. Lars Hanssen

Lars Hanssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malone,
    Why will you route all signals through your Yamaha? If it is to get the amplifiers on-screen display on the screen, then you should be aware that the on-screen menus are PAL only, and therefore not available with NTSC sources. My receiver is a Yamaha too, a 2095, and i can't play NTSC sources through it at all. Additionally, S-video is inferior to the quality of RGB-scart. In my view, a better route would be to put out scart-RGB from your units, send the signals to a scartswitcher with built-in signal amplifier, and the send the outgoing signal to the Sanyos rgb input via a syncstripper.
    A scart switcher can be bought on ELV in germany, and a Sync-stripper can be had for 185 DM(GBP 60) from a german enthusiast.
    I have never tried the above solution myself, as i still dont have a projector. Still considering the Sanyo, but i have nowhere to see it in my country [​IMG].
    Kind regards Lars

5. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Lars,
    To be honest what you have suggested is a bit over my head, I was always under the impression Scart switchers or multi adapters led the signal to deteriorate and signal amplifiers tend to boost unwanted signals as well.
    Sync strippers is also not something I am familiar with.

The reason I wanted everything to go through my amp is to make operation easier, hopefully by routing everything through not only does it "clean" the signal but gives my wife a fighting chance to operate it without me being there, and believe me it took a lot of persuading to get the AX1,PLV30 and a new set of speakers past her so if I alienate her from using it well, it will probably all end up in the classifieds.
    Most grateful for the ideas though.

All the best, Matt.......

[This message has been edited by Malone (edited 03-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Malone (edited 03-04-2001).]

6. Lars Hanssen

Lars Hanssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malone,
    Routing everything through the receiver doesn't "clean" the signal. Anyways, regarding the WAF(wife acceptability factor), you could automate everything in macros on a PRONTO. I did, and my wife loves it. Yes I know, another expense.

Lars

7. ragegames

ragegames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very similar system to you, at present I route all the signals via the Yamaha amp (in my case a 595) as composite and then send that to the projector (except for the PS2 which goes directly via S-video to that input on the projector). Check that you can get the combinations of video type and digital sound you need- I only have 2 channels with digital sound input and 2 (different) channels with S-video through the switching.

To be honest I am not happy with the composite picture- the Sky satbox output in particular on dark US programs such as "Buffy" suffers somewhat and the colour bleed and striping on edges intrinsic to composite is always visible so I am looking for better alternatives too. Probably go for a RGB to S-video converter which I gather are around £80, then use that to go to the projector.

A number of people on this forum have talked about feeding RGB SCART to the VGA inputs, noting the scan frequency should work, but to my knowledge noone has succeeded (correct me if I'm wrong on that one)

Note: HMV also do a PS2 component out cable for £16 which should be the best choice for the PS2 input if the equipment is reasonably close (its a 20M+ run to my projector)

Peter

8. Simon Newitt

Simon Newitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malone :) I was in the same situation as you until a couple of days ago. I had my DVD switching S video through the amp and my digibox connected with scart to 3 phono to the amp. I was running a composite lead to the projector for the sky and suffered the same colour bleeding and interference you mention. I purchased an RGB to S video convertor from Keene Electronics for £60 including the postage and all my problems are now solved. Incidently, I also have a Yamaha amp, and have tried connecting the DVD and Sky to the projector without routing them through the amp. It makes no difference whatsoever ( that I can see anyway ). I would therefore definately recommend using the amp for switching as it is convenient with no disadvantages.

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    As mentioned above Keene and Lekropaks do a RGB to Svideo converter. The lekropaks one also has macro defeat, which is ideal for pay per view movies as it also has composite out (with sound) to run to a video etc. Just connect you digi box (RGB) via scart to the converter, then run a Svideo to Svideo lead to you amp. Then you will now be able to use your amp to switch between Sky and DVD etc (as long as your DVD is outputing svideo!). As for taping just connect your video input to the converters composite out + sound out (L&R). Connect your digi box via its phono out L&R (for sound)directly to your amp. I hope this makes sense!. The lekropaks one is a tenner more..........Paul :cool: