Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Component and DVI connection advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Erwego, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Erwego

Erwego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some help please, I've looked for an answer till my head is swimming.

I will be using a BenQ 8240 projector from time to time at home. I was thinking of buying the Yamaha RXV750 to replace my existing amp.

However I am unsure the best way of connecting the 2 together. I would like to use the component out from the amp to the projector, but I am unsure if I can. The inputs listed are:

"Analog RGB: D-sub 15 pin x 1 Analog RGB: DVI-I x 1 (shared) Digital RGB: DVI-I x 1 (HDCP) Component Video: D-sub 15 pin x 1 S-Video: Mini DIN 4 pin x 1 Composite-Video: RCA x 1 PC Audio: Stereo mini jack x 1 Video L/R audio: Stereo mini jack x 2"

Any advice? Is there a Component to DVI adaptor available?

Cheers

Er

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You can run component through the amp to the pj but component is not compatible with DVI as one is an analogue connection and the other a purely digital connection. From what I've read, DVI produces sharper pictures but lacks a little of the contrast achieved by component so it's what you prefer really.
    If I were you, I'd run the component/DVI directly from your DVD player to your projector as introducing another link in the chain is just asking for additional signal degradation

3. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What this means most probably is that you need a cable that is three phono at one end to connect to Yamaha, and 15-pin VGA-type at the other end for PJ, like so:

[​IMG]

4. Erwego

Erwego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice folks, I will connect other devices, so I was hoping to use the component out on the amp to reduce cable run to the PJ to 1 cable.

Do you know who sells the 15 pin adaptor in the UK, I had a look on tvcables but I did not see any?
    Cheers

Er

5. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0