1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component and DVI connection advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Erwego, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Erwego

Erwego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some help please, I've looked for an answer till my head is swimming.

I will be using a BenQ 8240 projector from time to time at home. I was thinking of buying the Yamaha RXV750 to replace my existing amp.

However I am unsure the best way of connecting the 2 together. I would like to use the component out from the amp to the projector, but I am unsure if I can. The inputs listed are:

"Analog RGB: D-sub 15 pin x 1 Analog RGB: DVI-I x 1 (shared) Digital RGB: DVI-I x 1 (HDCP) Component Video: D-sub 15 pin x 1 S-Video: Mini DIN 4 pin x 1 Composite-Video: RCA x 1 PC Audio: Stereo mini jack x 1 Video L/R audio: Stereo mini jack x 2"

Any advice? Is there a Component to DVI adaptor available?

Cheers

Er

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You can run component through the amp to the pj but component is not compatible with DVI as one is an analogue connection and the other a purely digital connection. From what I've read, DVI produces sharper pictures but lacks a little of the contrast achieved by component so it's what you prefer really.
    If I were you, I'd run the component/DVI directly from your DVD player to your projector as introducing another link in the chain is just asking for additional signal degradation

3. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What this means most probably is that you need a cable that is three phono at one end to connect to Yamaha, and 15-pin VGA-type at the other end for PJ, like so:

[​IMG]

4. Erwego

Erwego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice folks, I will connect other devices, so I was hoping to use the component out on the amp to reduce cable run to the PJ to 1 cable.

Do you know who sells the 15 pin adaptor in the UK, I had a look on tvcables but I did not see any?
    Cheers

Er

5. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0