Component 480p vs RGBs Scart

-Matt-

Apologies, for bringing this up, I'm sure this has been discussed at length before but I have never yet seen a clear and concise explanation:

As I understand it video connections can be rated as follows; worse to best:

SCART - with only composite video.
Composite - Video only coax.
SCART - with S-Video. enabled.
S-Video.
SCART - with RGsB.
YPbPr - Component.
RGsB - over BNC.
SCART - with RGBs.
RGBs - over BNC.
VGA - Analogue RGBHV.
YPrPr - with progressive scan ie 480p, 720p, 1080p.
HDMI
DVI

I am certain of the first few but I am a bit unsure towards the end of the list. So please correct me if you KNOW the right answer. By the way I rate SCART connections lower than their equivalents because of the crappy nature of the SCART connector itself!

The part I am really interested in is the comparison between RGBs over SCART and 480p component. Am I correct in thinking that because of the additional sync signal RGBs provides slightly more bandwidth and would therefore be better than a 480i component connection but that a 480p connection would beat the RGBs one? If this is right how about the comparison between 720p and 1080i and how is this affected by the native resolution of the display used?

Hopefully someone knowledgeable can set me straight and their post can be made sticky.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Unfortunately it isn't that hard and fast since different components vary in performance between their RGB scart and component outputs. Also there is the consideration of the colourspace conversion required for example from 4:2:0 component on a DVD disc to RGB scart coming out of the player itself.

I would consider video signals firstly:

RGBHV (H & V sync)
RGBcvS/RGBS (seperate sync, scart RGBcvS denotes sync on composite)
RGsB/YUV (sync on green either RGB or YUV colourspace)

(there isn't a lot between the last two - probably more difference in how the source component will generate the signal and how the display is capable of handling it)

Then secondly the connector types available and their quality:

HDMI/DVI (which carry digital equivalents of RGB and YUV)
BNCs
Phonos
Scart
Din

480i/480p is a different question entirely and doesn't relate to the signal. 480p is only gauranteed better if the source is already 480p and the source therefore is not processing the signal in any way. Just outputting it. Where the source is 480i (i.e. on the DVD disc or from the settop box) the question is whether the deinterlacing (i to p conversion) in the source unit, is going to do it better than the deinterlacer inside the next device in the chain (be it video processor, AV amplifier, or direct to display).

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom