1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compnent to VGA - would this work?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tomomelette, Aug 19, 2004.

1. tomomelette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm new to this game so my apologies if this is obvious - but after much reading I'm not sure what the answer is.

I'm on a budget and want to buy a projector with only a VGA input. I read a review on Projector Central (here...) that says:

"You should therefore order a video cable that will enable you to input component video through the VGA port. That means either a cable with 3 RCA jacks on one end and a 15-pin VGA connector on the other, or one with 5 BNCs on one end and a 15-pin VGA on the other,"

I plan on buying a DVD player with Component (Y, Pb, Pr) out (e.g. Tosh SD340). I hunted high and low and have finally found a cable that looks like it might fit the bill. It's a Sony SMF-402 and I found it here....

My question is simple - will this work and will I get progressive high quality into (and out of) the projector.

Many TIA - excellent forums.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Jan 20, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    The Borders
    Hello Tomomelette

3RCA to HD15 'Component' cables are pretty much standard issue these - we supply lots of VanDamme cables built to that spec at whatever cable length you require.

There's not enough info on that Sony site to say if the cable highlighted is wired for YUV Component or not.

The BenQ projectors look like they will be compatible with Progressive NTSC (480P) and Interlaced PAL (575i) and up scaled or HDTV 720P and 1080i signals.

Keep an eye on the screen size to throw distance ratio of the lens on these units - especially the PB6200; unless you have a long room.

Best regards