Complicated VPN problem

oneman

VPS = Virtual Private Server, its basically you own little PC sitting in public internet in the cloud.

You would need to do two things
- Setup a VPN Server on the VPS so you NAS can open a VPN tunnel from your home network to your VPS PC. As this is a outbound connection from home it will work.
- Setup up routing on VPS. You may need to buy another IP address and virtual NIC for that. Then one IP address is the one your connect to from public internet to VPS and the other one is used by VPN service on VPS for the connection your NAS sets up.

Be aware, there are probably bandwidth and traffic limits so you can't go mad though you should get at least 100mb/sec bandwidth and couple of hundred MB at least transfer cap per month which is usually only measured for outbound traffic.

Something like AWS Lightsail starts at $3.50 a month for 1 vCPU, 512MB RAM, 20GB storage and 1TB of outbound traffic.

lencuff

Thanks, I can get 30 days free trial on a VPS so worth a try and after that it's only about £3 a month.

Still a bit unsure of the setup, my VPN server is hosted on my NAS box so I just need a way to get at it!
So would a VPS server help for this scenario?

oneman

Thanks, I can get 30 days free trial on a VPS so worth a try and after that it's only about £3 a month.

Still a bit unsure of the setup, my VPN server is hosted on my NAS box so I just need a way to get at it!
So would a VPS server help for this scenario?
VPN server will need to be in public internet on the VPS and client on your NAS, connection has to be initiated outbound from your network.

By the way you will need to do all this from a shell, for £3 a month that will be a GUI less Linux box.

lencuff

And of course when you look at all the options available, Synology comes up trumps!
Once the NAS box is connected to them they have an option for QuickConnect!
I tried this one from a tablet connected to a totally different network from my home network and it connects back to my NAS box fine. I can look through all the file systems, can copy files to and from the NAS and that's really all I ever used the VPN for. No idea if other NAS providers to the same but Synology has certainly solved my GCNAT problems :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic 2022 OLED TV hands-on, Picture Settings Discussions, Hi-Fi and AV News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom