Question Complicated house looking for a simple solution

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Budgi, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Budgi

Budgi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a bit of unusual problem but I'm sure that someone here will have a clever solution. I'm very new to all of this so please excuse my stupidity on some matters.

I'm currently living overseas in a country where the humidity and heat fluctuate a lot. The house has two storeys with an air-conditioner unit in nearly every room. It is a rental so we can't put anything permanent in.

I have three rooms that need to be managed.

Room 1 - Young kids room. Needs to be set at steady temperature at night. I don't want the kids to be able to play with it. If it could be combined with a baby monitor I wouldn't complain.

Room 2 - A huge lounge room.

Room 3 - An upstairs TV room that gets hot during the day. It would be nice to climate control this room and maybe control some of the tech (Samsung Smart TV, Set Top Box, etc.) again this is not important.

As each air-conditioner has an IR remote (able to control them all through SURE remote app) I would like to have an IR controller with humidity and temperature sensor in each of the three rooms so I can keep the house cool and turn on humidifiers when needed (maybe have smart power points that turn on when below a certain humidity)

Ideally controlled by phone app or some sort of web interface.

I looked into things like Sensibo and tado but they have drawbacks. Mainly price and that they appear not to be completely compatible.

Any advice would be appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions as I'm sure I've forgotten to mention things.

Thanks
    B

2. manka

manka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Checkout broadlink devices you should be able to do this for around 40 per room max with an rm pro

3. Budgi

Budgi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to know. I was actaully just looking at them.

It would be great if there was something like that with a camera that I could add to the kids room.

4. Budgi

Budgi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be a bit of a silly question but would I need one of those air sensors and IR controllers in each room?

It would be good if in one device.

I might also get some smart plugs so when the humidity drops it turns on the humidifiers.

5. manka

manka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The rm pro has a thermometer built in but I can't see a way of triggering an action based on its temperature so I think you probably would need both to get it to work. The broadlink is great for smart home and a sound basis for kick starting Alexa integration with the echo or dot...

6. Winky

Winky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I'm also asking a question. Is the RM Pro only sensing at it's current location? Seems like Budji wants a sensor in each room.The rm pro is quite impressive though.
    Another consideration with any IR controlled device. The IR probably won't travel through walls. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know exactly how it works.It must be able to transmit across rooms or it wouldn't be feasible.

You probably already are aware, but I'll say this just in case. If you have a room that is hot during the day and the A/C has a difficult time holding set point, it is doubtful any kind of control will fix that problem.

7. manka

manka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You can buy additional sensors and I would expect them to communicate over wifi...but would need to check for sure.

The rm pro is awesome! Especially for rf which is through walls!