1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complicated Demo'ing/Revel B15

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by captzerg, Dec 6, 2004.

1. captzerg

captzerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is demo'ing a new sub complicated?

I went to Music Lovers in Berkeley, CA yesterday and demo'ed the Revel B15. It was the first time I heard it. I was impressed with its response with the Beethovan's 9th Symphony. Here's the problem. They didn't have the B&W S805's to pair it with, which is what I have. Should I take in my 805's to the store?

Plus, my normal dealer here in Sacramento has Rel (can get to demo) and B&W subs. (800 no 850). I can demo them with the S805. Am I really going to be able to tell what I like? I mean, the B15 was nice, could I really tell what I was hearing yet? I am not sure.

Questions: Should I just demo the B&W 800 or ask them to get the 850 and should I take my S805's to Berkeley and demo with the Revel B15?

Anybody got experience with the Revel's they would care to share?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that whilst Revel are distributed here in UK they have a very low profile and I doubt whether you will find many who have heard one and probably no-one who has owned one.

A good subwoofer should be able to integrate with any speaker and as there is no voice matching to be concerned about I wouldn't worry about taking your own speakers along to the shop.

Whilst the ability of the sub counts for a lot, the interaction between sub and room counts for just as much and it is possible that any sub that sounds good in the store will not sound as good at home and vice versa.

In the UK many dealers of expensive subwoofers allow you to try it out in your own home before purchasing but if you can't do that in USA you should at least try and listen to a few more before spending that amount of money.

As previously mentioned I believe that you should try and listen to a REL plus the B&W ASW850, if the latter is of interest to you but try them out on something more demanding than Beethovan's 9th Symphony - I would suggest that there is a range of organ music out there that is much more suitable for seeing how well the sub will cope with deep bass notes.

3. captzerg

captzerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian. I will try the 850, then try the most expensive Rel sub I can afford. Given the quality of the S805's (and that they only go down to about 56K) and my two-channel music focus I think the most expensive sub I can afford is the way to go. I want a great sound stage. I'll report to the group after I try the 850 and the Rel's.

4. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Buy a SVS PB 12ultra/2! Especially as you live in the states.

It`s a magical sub and will be better than what you`ve forementioned at half the price, you can audition it at home and if for some bizarre reason you don`t like it send it back.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Have you heard all the subs mentioned above ?

6. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Captzerg,
    I understand that Christoph runs a Revel B-15 Performa,why not p.m him for his thoughts?

Regards Dan

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Captzerg have you checked out the reviews of subwoofers in the 'Way down deep' tests by Ultimate AV mag. They test the Revel B15 amongst several subs and it's an interesting read IMHO.

8. captzerg

captzerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dan, will PM Christopher and yes Mat I read the review. It was great, I went away with wanting the 9K+ six foot long jobber. Got about 6000 extra Crobuzonian pounds I can use?

9. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry Rags in delay.....but no, have not heard either so maybe I shouldn`t make such sweeping statements? But absolutely love my SVS and think it was the top bargain of my whole system!

Just thought as Captzerg lives in the states and wants a demo seems a perfect possiblity. I fancied the Revel but would be very surprised if bettered the SVS as is 15" unit.

Anyway good luck to him and I`m sure will love whatever he goes for.

10. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I have currently got a B15a at home, i would say that the 3 band parametric equalization is worth the admission fee alone, can you confirm that your dealer had set the system up using the LFO software?