Complex question re Sky and contracts

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hi folks,
    having a dish on our house already (an analogue one we swang round to the right angle ourselves), I bought a couple of Sky boxes from forum classifieds and got a standard Sky connection. We have a basicish package (no movies or sport). We pay £15 a month to duplicate the service on a second box.
    We recently moved and the new house already had a dish so we just carried on the contract.
    Now our twin LNB is playing up meaning we can't get all the channels. We need to get a new LNB anyway so we thought we might aswell go for Sky+ and a duplicate box.
    I've been told by Sky that if I cancel our service and then re-apply, we'd be able to get the discount applicable to new customers and get Sky+ installed with a second box with the complete package for the first month for £50.
    I.e. new dish with quad LNB with Sky+ box and second box free. £50 a month would then see us continue with the service.
    Seems like a good idea.
    Should I get Sky to do the 'installation' or should I get it from a local firm with whome I am quite friendly?
    Should I go ahead now or put up with only getting half the channels for a while cos something cool is on the horizon?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The mirror sub was reduced to £10 regardless of the original package or hardware quite a while ago, or so I thought. A guy at work certainly had his reduced from £15 to £10 a month, perhaps it was package specific(?).

No worries if you go with an authorised SKY agent/installer who can offer you the same deal that SKY do direct, certainly worth asking and you will have a face to deal with unlike a order from SKY. If he/she isn't an authorised agent then I would go with SKY even with the lottery of installer competence, certainly simplifies any warranty issues IF there is ever a problem.

SKY+ 160 is due out in a month or so but at £399 (installation deals unknown) but it is hard to justify the cost against the standard SKY+ unit.

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya Starburst.
    Do you know if the SKY+ 160 box is just a V2 box with a bigger disk? If not what exactly is different apart from the price!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The only two confirmed spec differences between the current SKY+ and the 160 is the size of the hard drive and the addition of two USB ports.
    Now for £399 that just doesn't make sense from a consumers point of view.

However James Murdoch has said that this will be a premium product and they don't expect to sell huge volumes and it will be the center piece for future developments.
    Some specualtion on that matter involving music and movie downloads although I can not see this hardware being any part of the future High Def service.

5. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    High Def is the next big move for $ky.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Via a major technology based improvment it is indeed, 2006 can not come around too quick:)
    However they must have plans in the mean time to exploit the customer who would purchase the SKY+160 be it using the increased storage for a basic VOD type service (well as good as you can get on Dsat) or some music buying scheme with the files being able to be transferred to a ipod or similar device via the USB port. Considering the portable video players that are around now who would be surprised if those low res/advanced codec movies were offered for overnight streaming to the hard drive and then to the player on payment of a fee.