1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely stupid noob needs your help!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Plugus Maximus, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Plugus Maximus

Plugus Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

This is my first post to the forum (hi :hiya: ) and I'm having a DVD nightmare. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to DVD types, formats, compatability, connecting systems etc. So I'd appreciate some advice. Up untill now I played all my DVD's on my Playstation. Having just got married we had two items bought for us off our wedding list.

A Toshiba SD-240 and a Panasonic DMR-E55.

The plan was to put the Toshiba in the bedroom and the Panasonic downstairs. But I'm getting all confused with connections and why certain things aren't playing.

Ideally, I wanted multi-region players but the two items are both region 2 only. I did all my research and I thought they were both multi region but this is not the case. Is there a way I can convert them for free?

The other issue is I have a collection of files on my PC (.avi's and mpeg's) which I have burnt onto CD (and soon I shall have a DVD burner to burn them onto DVD). I would like to play these movie/video clips on the DVD players/recorders. However, on the Panasonic they do not play at all well. The image and sound are very, very slow and jerky. Normal DVD's are ok. Why is this? When I play them on the Toshiba they seem fine!

The other problem is I would just like a second opinion on the connection setup I have made between the Panasonic DVD Recorder, my Panasonic TV my PS2 and my brand new Freeview Sony receiver.

Currently it is setup as follows:

RF: From wall>Freeview box>DVD>TV .............. is this right?

Scart connections:
    From TV 'AV1' scart socket > 'TV' scart socket on Freeview Box
    From TV 'AV2' scart socket > PS2
    From Freeview 'VCR' scart socket > 'AV1/TV' scart socket on DVD recorder
    This leaves a spare scart socket 'AV2/Decoder' on the DVD recorder.

Have I screwed up? I've spent ages trying to figure out what to do with all of the above and I'm thinking of sending the Panasonic DVD recorder back and getting a multiregion which can play VCD's well. I've also just realised none of them play SVCD's which is a bummer too.

I hope I've made sense above. I'm boggled! :eek: I'll trade help and advice with any of you that want tips on power kiting! :D (I'm normally on the flexifoil kite forums!!)

Cheers for any help ....

K

PS. Any chance of a quick reply? :D

2. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your RF setup is correct.

SCART leads...

Freeview (tv scart) -> (scart 2) DVD recorder (AV1/TV) -> (AV1) TV

Freeview (scart 2) -> (AV2) TV

That leaves just the PS2 not scarted. You could plug this into (AV2) TV instead of the Freeview receiver.

3. redaction

redaction
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the player and tried it but don't have any discs to try other than region 2. The tip is from the DVD players forum, I couldn't find the original thread.

The Panasonic DMR E55 is available as multi-region player - they chip the remote I think, so perhaps you could call someone like Unbeatable.co.uk and ask them if they'd chip your remote or otherwise enable your recorder to play back discs from other regions? Or return the unit you have and get it swapped if applicable.

4. Plugus Maximus

Plugus Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the response guys.

I'm still boggled by the scarting. MJI are you saying I need 3 scarts?

1. Freeview > DVD
    2. DVD > TV
    3. Freeview > TV

Is that right?

Playstation I'll have to feed into AV£ on the front of the telly using the 3 RGB wotsits.

XDOU (sp?!) This hack doesn't seem to work. Not that I have other region DVD's to try as yet but after I've typed the number in nothing seems to happen?!?! Certainly no options to scroll/cycle through to region 9.

Any ideas?

While I'm at it does anyone know of a good resource (link a online dummies guide to DVD's, scarts, RGB's, etc etc?) Something like a tutorial. Is there not a webpage out there where you can in put the various model numbers of the equipment you have and then it tells you how to connect what with what for optimum performance? Just a though.

Cheers,

K

5. redaction

redaction
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try it again, dude. It worked fine for me, though I don't have any other DVDs from different regions to try to see for sure, it did cycle through the regions though.

This site should help you with explanations for various tech jargon/whatnot. There are loads of sticky-threads and a search utility for your perusal.

6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think you've picked that up wrong mate. Various companies provide a special universal style remote control which has been chipped along with a firmware cd to enable multi region on various players. You bung the cd in the dvd player, push a button on the remote and then send the remote back to the company who then refund a deposit. It's not your own remote that gets chipped.

If your having problems with the sd 240 hack try cold start first. Basically switch off and unplug from the mains, wait a bit then plug it back in, turn it on with the power button on the remote (not on the machine) then try the code (being careful to enter each digit and then press enter a couple of times-region will cycle on tv screen not on the front of the machine I would think).

7. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes, you will need 3 scart leads, and yes that is right. But make sure you connect the scart leads to the right connections, for example...

Freeview (scart 2) -> (AV2) TV

This means you need to connect a scart lead from the scart 2 on the freeview box to AV2 on the TV.

That's a good idea to connect the Playstation to the front of the TV instead.

:)

8. Plugus Maximus

Plugus Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide:

aaah ha! Success! Thank you all! Now do you see why I label myself as a stupid noob? There was me doing it with the TV off looking at the LCD display on the pesky machine.

And I've got the rest of the scarts on order ;) ... ta MJI ....

:clap:

K

9. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :laugh:

Glad you've got it all sorted :thumbsup:

10. ferris57

ferris57