1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely redecorating - lighting suggestions please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Remboy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am completely redecorating my home cinema room including replaster of walls and new ceiling in three weeks' time so I have the chance to install any lighting arrangement I wish.

My current intention is to go for dimmable ceiling downlights but I could include wall lights as well. I was wondering what suggestions any of you guys have. What lighting arrangements have you found most successful for producing a nice even low level of light which doesn't take your attention away from the screen or give any stray light shining directly at the screen? Also if you recommend downlighters, how far apart have you spaced them and what power are they?

Many thanks for any ideas.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Look at Helvar Digidim4 lighting control system superb quality but a tad expensive

3. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, will check that out now.

4. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to go for the Digidim 4 Kit but @ £850 + vat its a rediculus price.
    Look at the Futronix P400, loads more features than the Digidim and at £350 a lot cheaper.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not sure the P400 has loads more features than the Digidim 4! (A UK made product) Dali interface means it is very flexible and can be linked to other Dali contollers around the house if you ever go for full lighting control...and you can probably get discount on it, depends how nice you are to your local dealer...

6. patrober

patrober

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a couple of p400s and they are very good - you cant link them but htey can do a lot.

I have something like 21 spots in the sittingroom in 4 circuits and never regretted it - also 15 spots plus 4 wall lights in the dining room again in 4 circuits. The scenes work very well and looks cool - curiously I havent fitted on in the cinema room .... yet!

Can be fussy in transformers if you are using spots (get futronix supplied ones are your best bet). Good UK based advice/service direct as well.

Other option is installing an x10 system which may be cheaper and you can link and program more comprehensively. I decided against this after hearing stories of them being suseptible to supply noise and needing reset - Could imagine it - "Hang on dear till i go up into the loft to switch on the lights"!!
    P

7. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horny dragon, I apriciate the Digidim is a nice bit of kit, I looked into it a few days ago reading the instalation and the user manuals but it is over priced for what it is, even a dealer of the unit agreed this, If it was around the £500 mark I would consider purchasing it.

The P800 is the same price as the Digidim with 8 channels + additional keypad control.

I apriciate its a new product and the price will come down in time and when it does I may get one for my other lounge, but I'm sticking with the P400 for my HT as it looks sweet.

:)

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I agree the digidim is expensive (it is a premium product) and probably only worth the extra if you want to add other rooms on the same system etc then the DALI interface is in valuable (can also have 16 wall plates!!!) etc on the system.....Lutron Graffik eye is very good too

9. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you considered having a suspended ceiling? I have one in mine on the basis that a) I could run cables around it if I was changing my setup, b) I could install lights where I thought they would look right and change around later if I didn't like it and c) ceiling tiles can be bought with different acoustic and light reflecting qualities and it's possible to use that to reduce unwanted sound reflection.

I put about 20 halogen lights in my ceiling on 4 circuits controlled by a P400 and gave some thought to the beam angle/wattage of the individual lights depending on where they were sited to keep the light tightly focussed or flood - very happy with the results and the programming gave me all the flexibility I wanted.

10. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Rako Controls make a brilliant retrofit product.

Controlled by wireless wall plates and RC's using FM codes, so it will pass throughout the house, ideal if you are going to add extra 'zones' at a later date.

11. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your replies and advice. The Futronix P400 looks like an ideal balance between cost a facilities given that I only need it for one modest size room so think I'll go for that.

12. patrober

patrober

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Im sure you will be happy with it. Some things to consider -

- if you are fitting transformers I would reccomend you get them direct from futronix - I had serious problems with other transformers.

- fit an isolator switch. Especially useful during debugging if you need it.

- fit the back box at least 5 mm deeper than flush - allows for slightly more leg room for the wiring

Also useful to change one of the default settings which causes the lights to switch on after power cycle (eg power cut) to return to the state they were in before the power cut. (I cant remember where the settting is - its obviousin the manual)

Think thats it. Have fun!