1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely n00b question...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Sly Fly, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Hi,

Because this is my first venture into the world of Home Cinema, I have this probably very simple-to-answer question :

When I purchase my good old amp, how the hell do you connect it to my Telewest Box? I can't seem to see any newfangled optical or digital connectors on the Telewest Box, so I don't see how I could get 5.1 surround sound. There is the normal audio plugs which currently run to my hi-fi. Do I just connect them to the amp instead and that gives me 5.1?

O.K., you can stop laughing now, and any help/guidance background to this area would be appreciated :smashin:

-Sly

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    AFAIK, Telewest doesn't support DD 5.1 broadcasts hence the lack of a digital connector on the box.

Sky+ does support DD 5.1 but only on some of the movie channels.

HTH

John

3. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    :eek:

Oh...

So... how on earth do I get normal television programs in 5.1 then? Is this not possible? Or is this something to do with Pro Logic I/II/IIx/IIx subsection theta etc... turning Nicam stereo into a fake 5.1?

Basically, I can't get my head around the cabling connections with regard to the :

TV
    Telewest Box
    AV Receiver

How does it all work? Please tell me! :lease:

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If the box has audio out, should be a red and a white conection just plug them into your amp and it'll process it upto whatever prologic you want ect...
    If it hasn't then you'll need to do something from the scart, try a scart cable with a svideo and 2x phones and plug them into the amp and then get an equal cable to go from the amp to the tv. (S-video is directional so you'll have to make sure its scart -> s-video +2x phono for the STB to amp, and s-video -> scart from amp to tv)

If the STB has a stero connection on the back you'll need to get a stero to 2x phone cable and connect the 2x phono end to the amp.

Hope this helps

Remeber you'll only get prologic or equivalent by using a analague conection, you'd need to use a digital one to get DD or DTS.

5. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    That's great help, and what's more, I think I understood most of it as well! :thumbsup:

It does. At the moment they are connected to my HiFi.

Okay, that's pretty straightforward. As johndon said Telewest and Sky don't support 5.1 so that's out. So, what you're saying is the receiver will get the audio signal via the red and white phonos and then transform this into Pro Logic, which, unless I'm mistaken, is not as good as 5.1 but is still surround sound. Right? :)

If that's good, then I'm only really confused about one more thing : The Scart on the back of the STB - where does it go? To the Video? And how does this lot go to the TV and where does the DVD come into play?

If you can answer all that I'll call you a hero. :D

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Prologic is not as good as DD or DTS but PL II is 5.1 and PL IIx is 7.1.

As for the scart just stick it directly in the telly and turn the volume down (off) when your using the amp or do as i said with the two scarts with s-video into and out of the amp.
    This will alow you to plug other sources into the amp and it'll switch between them (hopefuly). This will alow you to use your amp as a switch box and you can have your video connected to record whatever the currect source (or sometimes a selected one) is playing and you will probably get on screen display from the amp on the tv too.
    Although if your TV has RGB and so does the stb then thats the best picture quality your gonna get, the difference is slight (over s-video on my 28 hitachi), but free! just remeber to turn it on both source and tv to get the effect. But this will mean that you will no be putting any video through the amp and thus get no on screen display ect...

If you look at the (millions of) conection on the back of your amp you'll get the idea of what plugs in where and you will probably be able to plug in everything into it, will take about 2 hours i predict is you use cable ties and stuff to make it tidier.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the S-video output cable above will not work with most cable boxes...
    Does TV set have analogue stereo outputs on the back if so use these and what ever is on scree audio will run to amp.........
    or get a scart breakout cable..

8. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Well, the receiver I'm going to get is either the Marantz SR-5400 or the Denon AVR 1905 and both, I believe, support the PL II / IIx.

With regard to the TV stuff... whoa there! :)

The TV I have at the mo is old. Very old, and will soon be replaced with a rented one - which will have two Scart cables and... well lets just stick with them. I'm not sure if the TV will have stereo outputs. I will get them if I can.

The other information you tried to get into my sadly miniscule brain I didn't really get, so let me work it this way :

The sound from STB > amp is sorted via the audio outs. Cool.
    The picture from STB > TV is sorted via the Scart. Also cool.

DVD will be the next important thing. It's got one of them there fancy digital 'out' that will go into the digital 'in' of the amp. I presume that this takes the place of connecting audio outs from the DVD to the amp. Yup? Nope?

The picture from DVD > TV? A Scart I'm guessing, but do I not have to go RGB > RGB from both sources?

Video. Er. This has a S-Video connection which will go to the TV? Maybe? And for the sound I'll have to connect red/white audio cables from the video to the amp. Is that right?

Good grief this is complicated :confused:

And what the hell's one of them??? :laugh:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    scart to scart with 2 phono audio output as well

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It would be unusual for a TV to have 2x RGB scarts so you might have to choose if it has one whcih you want to plug in, although you'll be watching the STB the most i'm guessing, DVD will make the best use of RGB. This option will probably give the best picture but will mean that when you switch source you will have to change to "AV-2" and then select DVD on the amp.

If you have only 2 sources then you could have a scart to scart for each and send the audio either digital or analague to the amp. If you have more sources you can probably 'daisy' chain them up i.e. if you have a video and you DVD has 2 scarts then you can probably connect the video via scart to the DVD and DVD to tele, in which hopefully your video would also have audio out.

The other option of using your amp as an s-video switch box is an option but your TV must accept s-video but if it does RGB it should (i think all tv's do for the last 5 years). This option will be convient as when you switch the source on the amp the picture and audio will change together with the press of on button, press DVD on the amp.

Otherwise as suggested buy a scart switch box (you can get them with a remote) and plug all the visual into that and only the audio into the amp. I think this option will be the least confusing. Press DVD on amp and change the switch box top DVD too.

I hope this has helped although it is very confusing to explain but when you go to actually do any of these it'll be easy .... I think :laugh:

11. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Gotcha. Yes, I agree the TV shouldn't have two RGB's so I have to decide - do I plug the DVD Scart in the TV or the STB Scart. I could also get this Scart Splitter Box - that could be a later option. The Audio's for both I get now - red/whites from STB > Amp, and digital from DVD > Amp.

Okay.

Yes, yes, and yes. I think. :) The DVD does have two Scarts, and the Video has audio out. So I could "daisy chain" the Scarts.

The Video also has S-Video, so... I guess I could connect the video direct to the TV if the TV accepts S-Video right?

But how does my Video recording programs now work, as I don't think the Video is now connected to the STB in any way??? :confused:

So... you're saying I should go Video > Amp by S-Video, and then Amp > TV by S-Video?

Thanks for your continued help btw. :hiya:

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If your set top box has 2 scarts you could daisy chain it all and pump the audio to the amp as we have said.
    video -> STB (RGB?)-> DVD (RGB)-> TV
    If you DVD has a RGB in (which unfortunatly is not on most units that i know of) you'll get RGB from both sources.

Other option is
    STB -> TV and video -> DVD -> TV
    STB (second scart out) -> Video

but if you go the amp route, it will have a S-Video and composite for Recorder/VCR, so it would be something ike this

STB -> amp, DVD -> amp, Video ->amp(video in),
    Amp -> TV, Amp -> Video (video out)

the above will let you record, i think it's like a second tv, video out i.e. it is always sending the signal there. But i'm not sure on the model your getting.

One thing is for sure you'll be using lots of cables :D

Yea you got the idea :thumbsup:

I like to use all my gear to it's maximum ability so i would put it all throught the amp, but the big daisy chain is also a good idea, but make sure you use good cables at least from the DVD > TV and if your STB suffers get a better one for STB > DVD or remove the DVD from the chain and connect it directly to the tv, (DVD>TV) this will alow you to still record.

13. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Ain't THAT the truth. :smashin:

The STB (Telewest Box) only has one Scart socket, but, I think you've given me a very good idea of what to do - so thanks.

AV Recievers are your friends. :D