1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely confused by Jargon!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by davidredge, Nov 10, 2004.

1. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at a decent home cinema for quite some time, but magazine jargon seems to be aimed at those who actually know whats going on! There seems no simple guide of what is actually needed - especially in terms of ams, power amps, receivers and that bit. Thats the bit i'm struggling with.

I'm aware you can buy an "all in one unit" but want to steer clear of a single unit and stick with seperates - but what options are there!?

2. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

In short you will need a display (TV, plasma, projector + screen), a source (dvd player and/or video), a HC reciever or amp, 5 (or 7) speakers and a subwoofer for a fully functional Home Cinema.

However there are numerous options to cater for different styles, budgets and levels of performance. I could go on for hours but instead of rambling on I'll throw the question back and ask the following;
    - How much do you want to spend?
    - What style do you want it to be (There's everything from sleek silver loft apartments to seedy flea-pit HTs)?
    - Do you want it functional or really kick ass?

That will narrow it down and I and others could add some specific recomendations.

Cheers,

Hatcher

3. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya.

Style-wise, i'm looking at champagne or silver - and very simple frontage! Not much in the way of timers and flashy displays.

I'm happy for a while with my current DVD player and TV. They're pretty good, but will be replaced in due course.

I can't see a need for anything above 5.1 at the moment, although option of 7.1 would be good. DTS also. I want decent sound, but full-scale kick-ass aint too important. Prologic 2 is a must since the Gamecube will be put through it also. It needs to hold together well at fairly high volumes.

What exactly is the diufference between an amp and receiver? Can you only have one? Thats the stuff that confuses me.

I want all this at the most reasonable price, and i'm happy to spend 2-3k (on sound), and wait a short while for a projector and new DVD.

4. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £2-3k is AMPLE for sound in my opinion.
    I bought a kick ass amp for £500, very good satellites for £400 (imported from the US) and a good sub for less than £300.
    I have probably got better kit than I need as I too don't see much use for anything better than 5.1 at the moment (don't DVDs only support this anyway?).
    For your kind of cash you are looking at some serious kit and on this forum you will find the kind of guys who can tell you exactly what. They know their onions that's for sure.
    Question whether you really NEED that level of tech or whether you could get your new DVD as well with that. Any receiver more than £300-400 these days should have Prologic 2.

As far as I understand it an amp and a receiver are much the same thing but a receiver usually has a tuner (audio) built in.

5. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a sizable budget.

With that I'd go for the excellent Denon 3805 Reciever, available in silver for around 1k, this would do all you want and more. For speakers, I'd look at getting 5 or 7 Kef Eggs with their matching Sub (for around £800-900), also in silver and a discrete but well performing setup.

This will be more than up to the job and still leave you over a grand in the kitty to put towards a new dvd and projector when you need to.

As has been said a reciever is just an amp with a built in radio section.

Cheers,

Hatcher

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would have thought that a £1,000 Denon 3805 is a bit overkill for the Kef Eggs.

I also think that you may have got more opinions if you hadn't posted this in the DIY section

7. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly. You could save £300 and go for the 2805.

8. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can pick up a 2805 for around £500 (I did!) so that's half the proposed price of the 3805 for 90% of the functionality. It has all the 7.1 features and heaps of stuff I am never likely to use. Its a great amp IMHO.
    There is loads of info on it on this forum and people have compared it to other similarly specced/ priced amps. I would have a read and come to your own conclusions.

9. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im confused?

You have 2-3k to spend on sound and own a GAMECUBE????

Seriously, save £100 from your budget and invest in an X Box! From an ex Gamecube owner 'you will not look back!' I promise.

As for the sounds I have Denon kit and would really recommend it. If you really have little knowledge I would suggest a trip to Tesco's and pick up the latest Hi Fi mag (Red cover) as it has all their award winners in it this month.

You will find some serious kit well within your budget, oh and don't forget the cables a good set of cables will enhance your investment!

Jam

10. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woah! Hold the Nintendo battering!

I've looked (and looking) at an xbox and, yeah, its a powerful peice of kit, but most games don't really appeal (with the exception of Halo, Halo 2 and Conker: Live and Uncut). Nintendo offer the most entertaining gaming for me, and thats personal preference really! That said, an xbox is a potential, but wholely down to the three ames i've listed.

11. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I plugged a console (be it the X-box or Gamecube) into my home cinema I'd never get the kids off it... but tempted to connect the PC up to it though ('Need for Speed - Underground' junkie).