1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely Baffled With Sub Thump

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by TheGworks, Oct 8, 2005.

1. TheGworks

TheGworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hope someone has a solution for this as it's driving me nuts! Have a Kef 2005 subwoofer that has had its board changed and then a complete replacement but the problem still persists. It has even baffled the guy's at Creative Audio who have been superb - customer care like it should be.
    Anyway the problem - subwoofer plays fine for days then all of a sudden two or three loud 'thumps' and then it just goes crazy - sounding like a repeater canon untill I dash over and switch it off. Does it both on manual or auto and carries on doing it without the lead to the amp!!! Sometimes it will continue to do it and other times if I unplug from mains and leave for a day it plays fine for a day or two before it kicks off again. I suppose it's some sort of electrical problem but has anyone any idea where to start.
    Things I've tried:
    Changing which ac socket I plug the into in the room - still thumps
    Using the same ac socket as all the other av equipment - still thumps
    Using an extension cable to other ac plug downstairs- still thumps
    Using upstairs ac socket - dif ring - still thumps
    Changing sources eg dvd, tv, dab through the amp - still thumps
    No mobile phone chargers or other transformer equipment in room
    Would really appreciate any help whatsoever
    Thanks
    Grae

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    At this stage it would seem like a good idea to get a sparky in to check the wiring in your house.

3. TheGworks

TheGworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yup - going to organise that next week. Was thinking of getting a 'line washer' to see if that had any effect!!! Just done a search on google and quite a few in the USA have had the same problem - but as yet no one has come up with a solution!!!!
    I live in hope!! - 5.1 (without the one aint nice and DTS is even worse!!!)
    Thanks
    Grae

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    just a thought, have you asked them in the shop if they wil lend you a different subwoofer, not the same make/model, but something that works on a similar principle and see if that has the same problem...if it does then its your electrical supply, if it doesnt then its that series of subs has an inherent problem somehow, possibly in batches that use the same power unit mebbe....

5. TheGworks

TheGworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yup, a friend is swopping his M&J to see if I get the same problem and vice versa tomorrow. I am also first going to try unplugging every appliance in the house to see if that has any impact.
    I can't believe this is a 'one off' problem. Mind you with my luck - it could well be!!!
    Thanks for the ideas I really do apprciate it.
    Regards
    Grae

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i hope it isnt your household electrics as that could prove costly....lol

at least if it turns out to be the sub, possible a batch problem you can switch to another sub.....

7. TheGworks

TheGworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    mmmmmmmmmm Like you say I think it's more likely to be the electrics than the sub - I'm hoping that the Kef is just super sensitive to my electrics and that the borrowed one will ignore the problems - yea right if only it was that simple.
    Regards
    Grae

8. TheGworks

TheGworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    and so the game begins!!!!!!!!!!!! Electrician just been and quick tests show no problem with current or earth!!!! The company's technical wizard is now coming to do more in depth tests to see if they can identify the problem - now why do I suspect this is going to cost BIG STYLE!!! Anyway if they do identify where the problem lies I will post - just in case others (God forbid) get a similar problem.
    Still open to suggestions if any one has any.
    Regards
    Grae

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    when you say the company's techinical wizard, do you mean the electricians company, or the subwoofer company?....not that this question helps, im just being curious..lol

(like i say, easy way is to get a subwoofer of a different make and try that if that works then its the sub you using has a fault in its range, mebbe a batch of subs..)

10. Canada Dave

Canada Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really know if my experience will help you, because you describe a thumping sub. My sub (Paradigm PS-1000v4) would come on at full volume in the middle of the night, waking everyone up. This was like a very loud, low hum (60 hertz?) that would shake the house. The sub would behave itself for days, then do it again. I brought in an electrician and he found no electrical problems. I then swapped out the sub for another one (different brand) and... same problem! Turned out to be a cracked solder joint in my Denon AVR-1603 receiver, in a circuit board behind where my sub plugs into the receiver. It was fixed under warranty and I haven't had a problem since. Could it be your receiver or amp?

11. TheGworks

TheGworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Problem solved - was my electrical supply. It was hitting 270v and as soon as I contacted my supplier (Powergen) they had a team of engineers out who worked through most of last night and solved my problem. Now I have a steady 239v and a very well behaved subwoofer that performs a dream !!!!!!!!!!! Must also add if you are considering buying ANY AV equipment give Creative Audio a ring - not only are they great on price they provide the best customer care imaginable!!!!!!!!! Nothing was too much trouble in trying to solve my problem.
    Thanks
    Grae

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208