Completed False Chimney Install with Pic's

N42

Guys this is my new plan, as spurred on by the legendary Elootos neat installlation. It will be built over the existing chimney to save on removal cost. Will consist of 63x38mm CLS timber battens and 9.5mm plasterboard on top, then finally skimmed with plaster for that all important neat finish.

So c'mon guy let the scrutiny begin.

Attachments

albriscoe

Banned
Guys this is my new plan, as spurred on by the legendary Eltoos neat installlation. It will be built over the existing chimney to save on removal cost. Will consist of 63x38mm CLS timber battens and 9mm plasterboard on top, then finally skimmed with plaster for that all important neat finish.

So c'mon guy let the scrutiny begin.
Hi N42 :hiya:

the pdf of the plasma install looks fine tbh, if I have to say anything it would be to use 12.5 mm plaster board as it gives a flatter surface to plaster to (this is what the plasterer told me anyway) apart from that I would take as much advice from one of the threads as I could as there are some fantastic ideas to be had.

cheers and good luck and don`t forget to post pics

Allan :smashin:

elootos

Blimey, that's one hell of a plan! At least you know what you'll be getting.

It all looks like it'll work out fine. I would advise though to mount your rears on the side walls and point in at you rather than forward. My current setup is the first time I've placed the rears firing from the sides and the effect is much better. I also think the MS302s are bloody loud when mounted in something and not in free-air, and looking at the size of your room you'll have plenty of volume to play with!

Good luck!!

T

thegavsters

Hi N42 :hiya:

the pdf of the plasma install looks fine tbh, if I have to say anything it would be to use 12.5 mm plaster board as it gives a flatter surface to plaster to (this is what the plasterer told me anyway) apart from that I would take as much advice from one of the threads as I could as there are some fantastic ideas to be had.

cheers and good luck and don`t forget to post pics

Allan :smashin:
I am not too sure about this 12.5mm thing.

I have just had my frame plastered which I used 9.5mm plasterboard on and the finish is like marble. May be down to the plasterer in question I suppose though and what they prefer.

I will create a thread once I am finished with the mess.:D

Oh and to Original poster. The frame plan looks good, but you will need horizontal battens above your speakers for the plasterboard to attach to.

Have fun building your frame. It was a real experiance building mine.

N42

Hi Albrisco thanks for popping in, I'll think about changing to 12.5mm plasterboard. But trying to keep the mm to a minimum. The missus wants space on the sides for shelves.

Hi Elootos also thanks for popping in. TBH it was after seeing your thread, that spurred me on to do my own. I shall try your configuration with the back speakers, but don't worry I have studied your thread with a magnified glass.

Thegavsters well spotted with the missing battens on top of the speakers, I missed that one for sure. Shows your concentrating. I'll revise the drawing and post it up

Cheers all, keep the thoughts coming in.

Big A

nice drawing. out of interest, what sort of budget are we talking at here? i might look to go down this route if i can't find the cabinet i want

N42

Big A budget wise materials shouldn't cost more than about 100 pounds, then its just the plastering cost which I presume will be not far off again. I'll be starting my build over the christmas break. As i'll have a few days off work, so will be able to get stuck in.

kylienut

Standard Member
I just happened to be watching a DIY program yesterday which said that 12.5mm plasterboard is used on ceilings as it is stiffer and does not sag between joists; 9.5mm is used on walls. :)

elootos

I've been searching these forums for some in-ceiling speakers for my bedroom and have just come across this thread for the first time.

Might be a lot easier to use these Kef speakers instead of going to the same effort I did!! I think they're about £75 each.

EDIT: Although they won't be as good value for sound quality as the Mordaunt Shorts, or as loud I would imagine!

N42

Thanks for the link Elootos, but I've already got the Mordaunt Short speakers, so will just go ahead with those, One thing I'm contemplating is what to use for ducting (for the wiring)behind the false wall, running from the plasma to the AV equipment below.

Any suggestions guys?

N42

Ok guys the fun has begun, this weekend we managed to open up the fireplace, which was bricked up by the previous owner. In the process we also discovered an old fire box which had been left in. The job took pretty much the whole day with plenty of rubble and dust all over the place.

We will be starting the timber studwork and plasterboarding next weekend.

Here's how the roomed looked originally:

The first strike, no turning back now:

The outline of the bricks to be removed:

Well stuck in:

The dreaded fire box:

Voilaa, the end result:

Last edited:

N42

Merry Christmas all. Managed to get cracking on these last few days.

Starting to put the timber frame together.

Frame is up now.

Last edited:

rdmbfossa

Hi, I also made something similar. I would recommend 12.5 mm plasterboard too just because I found it easier to work with as it is more rigid. I found the recesses for the speakers the trickiest part of the build. Good luck, it is satisfying to be able to say that you built it yourself.

Attachments

N42

Hi mate, your build does look very good indeed. I just need to get the plasterboard on now. I've already got 9.5mm so will have to stick to that. Have you got any progress pics of yours. Would be great to see them.

rdmbfossa

Sorry, I dont have any pictures as the strife was pushing me on to have it finished for Chrismas and we had a date for the carpet being fitted.

Basically i built the frame with csl timber (about 75 meters used in total). I built all the boxes for the recesses with 18mm mdf then lined them with plasterboard so they were nice and solid, and attached them to the frame. All the edges were covered in metal beads for plasterng to give nice straight edges with a bit of knock protection, then the surface was plastered. I used letterbox draught protectors for feeding the cables through the wall and made a hatch at the rear of the TV so that I have access for any future work (once the plasma is up you cant see the hatch anyway). Also fitted ikea dioder lights to the rear of the TV operated by lightswitch at the room enterance. I fitted a fused spur (just to the right of the wall) so that everything can be swithed off if required.

N42

Sounds good mate, well done for gettign it finished to a dead line. The boxes look ace. I'll be getting some dioder light too.

N42

Ok guys the latest pics to the project, the plasterboarding is now finished, just need to add some more cabling and led lighting and then it can all be plastered. Was hard graft and look longer than I orginally anticipated. But got there in the end.

I can see the end in sight:

Ahh got there:

With a few novelties lol.

inzaman

So far so good :cool:

B

brethy

:thumbsup:well done on such a thorough and neat job:thumbsup: make sure the plasterer gives a good finish which you deserve :thumbsup:

N42

Thanks guys, Elootos can you please tell me how much clearance you have around your speakers, as I think mine are too tight and once plastered worried the speakers may not go in.

jolly

n42

not to sure about the clock

steve

elootos

Thanks guys, Elootos can you please tell me how much clearance you have around your speakers, as I think mine are too tight and once plastered worried the speakers may not go in.
The holes I cut were quite loose, maybe a couple of mm each side. But it was the plasterer who made them fit; they use metal strips to get hard edges on corners etc.

My plasterer used some 3mm(?) strips around the speakers by putting the speaker halfway in, then cutting and pinning metal strips around them, taking the speaker out again (obviously) and then plastering the whole front. Once finished, the speakers just slid straight in. To get them out again, I just place a small screw in the hole for the grille, and pull gently!! Without the speaker in, the holes look like a bit of a mess, it's only when there's something in them that it looks flush.

N42

Hehe the clock is only for a little amusement, It will be gone once finished.

Thanks for getting back Elootos, Am I right in thinking you made the speaker boxes flush all round with the speakers, then made the front plasterboard hole a little larger, which the plasterer made up with edging strip and plaster.

If so I think I'll need to remake the boxes, Cheers once again.

elootos

Hehe the clock is only for a little amusement, It will be gone once finished.

Thanks for getting back Elootos, Am I right in thinking you made the speaker boxes flush all round with the speakers, then made the front plasterboard hole a little larger, which the plasterer made up with edging strip and plaster.

If so I think I'll need to remake the boxes, Cheers once again.
Correct. The boxes are pretty snug, you can feel them grip the speaker as you push them in. The plasterboard hole was however slightly 'wobbly' in size which my plasterer corrected with stripping.

N42

Ok cheers I'll give the boxes another shot soon.

N42

Ok guys after a long break, the latest pics of the progress so far.

The end is neigh..

With the room now painted.

Last edited:

Trending threads

Latest news

New Nvidia Shield devices 25 percent faster and add Dolby Vision
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix gets subscriber boost ahead of rival's challenge
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Galaxy S10 bug unlocks phone for anyone