complete xbox noob needs help

GreenBhoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been trawling through the threads and looking at other forums. I would like people to tell me if my thinking is correct on what I have learnt so far..... :confused:

I have :rtfm: but I am still a wee bit confused....

Ideally I would like to get Hi-def out of my Xbox and I have the following equipment:-

Panasonic PW6 Plasma
Component Board
Un-moddified Crystal Xbox
Microsoft Hi-def pack (from Lik-Sang)
Splinter Cell (Original)
Action Replay (with USB/Mem card lead)
Xbox memory card
Splinter Cell save game exploit (currently in ZIP format)

From the shopping list above, you can probably tell that I want to softmod my Xbox. Have I got all the right kit?

My understing of the process is to:

Put ZIP on PC
Unpack
Run Action Replay
Copy save game state from PC to xbox memory card
Fire up Xbox with memory card attached
Copy Splinter Cell Saved game to HD
Restart xbox with Splinter Cell in the tray
Choose Load Game
Choose Run Linux
Wait
Re-boot
Once into non MS Dashboard change video settings to NTSC/480P/720P etc
re-boot

Is my understanding correct, or am I wildy wide of the mark? Any further help would be appreciated guys..... :thumbsup:

When you use Run Linux it will put you into Evox - from here you will need the enigmah video switcher to change your box to NTSC. Then reboot - MS Dashboard and turn on 480p/720p (Ntsc / Pal switch is NOT available from the MS Dash - you need the swutcher)

Can't see anything else wrong with what you're doing - although technically your not softmodding your box, all you are doing is using a samegave exploit to change your box from PAL to NTSC. What you are doing above means your box is left pretty much as it was but just switched to NTSC.

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

I have another saved game (again currently in ZIP format) which suggests that it is the video switcher, when I drill down into it it has a format like this:

UDATA/21585554/000000000000/VideoSelector/Media etc

Is that the switcher that you are talking about?
It came attached to the same file as the Splinter Cell PAL Exploit....

Many thanks again for your help...

Don't unzip your save.

Drop it onto the card as is.

Also you will need to get the Enigmah software working, something I never managed until I properley softmodded my Xbox and ran it from CD.

It should be in your apps menu in Evox but I doubt it will be.

You need to edit your evox.ini file but again I ran into trouble as everytime I tried to ftp the changed ini it wouldn't have it.

The hard bit starts now :D

Thanks for your help!!

I have managed to get a hold of an enigmah_video_switch.iso (6.3MB)
If I burn that to CD-R can it be installed once I do the Splinter Cell save game exploit? Or is it best to use the Acrion Replay saved game.

Also I may have missed the point - what is properly softmodding your xbox as opposed to what I am proposing to do?

Again sorry for the noob questions - everyone has to start somewhere :D

McGraw

I have sent you a PM.

Regards Greenbhoy

Greenbhoy....if you are an xbox noob then i haven't got a hope getting hi-def out of my xbox....i did not understand what you were on about!

How is Castle Grayskull smelling these days....

Castle Greyskull is not as Impenetrable as it used to be....
The orcs and goblins that dwell there still stink of Merrydown and p**s though... :devil:

Only joking - some of the denizens of an other local castle like the odd Kestrel Super too.... :laugh:

Back to the xbox front - yes with so much info out there it can get very confusing (and contradictory).

I will let you know how I get on......

Regards GreenBhoy

need help have downloaded enigma switch disc but cant get it to work xbox is chipped have burnt the iso on dvd+ rw dvd- cdrw but my xbox says dirty disc or is it a dvd or a music disc im at an end as want hidtv on my rptv anyhelp would be helpfull tried the isoufd forced dvd xbox aswell on nero but no luck

how do u copy saved games from a memory card to the xbox?

i have the saved linux and splinter cell saves on a memory card and can see them but the only option when i view the memory card on the xbox is to delete them?? surely there shd be a copy option or how is everyone doing this?

his xbox has been tucked away in a cupboard for 2 years if that makes a difference? the dash is old - is that the problem? what shall i do?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom